Roadmap and release date
kryptonyte Wrote:Heh, sounds like a good question.

So will PVR be in a incremental release or is that being pushed back to the next major release? Also what about the JSON and "improved" httpd server, last I heard the JSON stuff was mostly done and sounded like it would be rolled out with this release, but with everything being stalled with the addons merge it might not make this release.

I'm guessing the best way to keep up with progress and such is simply reading the commit logs as the roadmap isn't maintained by the developers? Fair enough.

Both JSON and httpd is in svn already and will be in with next release. Working hard in making it as good as possible for the release.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Can someone clarify what exactly this means on the roadmap:

Addons Manager

◦Added a new Addons API which allows for addons written in any programming language to be used
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I think we would all rather wait to get a complete & bug-free release than some rushed p.o.s., but I have one small question:-

I could REALLY do with customisable keymaps, and I'm relatively comfortable with Linux/Ubuntu, having run it as my main home system for the last three years - is it worth upgrading to SVN, or would I be better off waiting for the release?
CrashX Wrote:Can someone clarify what exactly this means on the roadmap:

Addons Manager

◦Added a new Addons API which allows for addons written in any programming language to be used

A new Addons API is being added, it will not be limited to python like the current plugin API.
Sorry, but I have not understood when it is released the next version ....
Thanks
when it's ready....

you will see a few alpha/beta releases once all the current target features and known bugs are finished, then after further bug reports from alpha/beta releases appear to be dealt with, there will be a final. bug fixing software is not an exact science, so the devs could state a date in advance, release it, and it would be rushed and awful, or you could wait until it's been properly tested and all the issues have been flushed through and the release actually knocks your socks off.

I know what I'd prefer.

also remember that this is not a commercial product - the devs do not get paid, they have other jobs to do. it is done out of pure love for the application.
topfs2 Wrote:Both JSON and httpd is in svn already and will be in with next release. Working hard in making it as good as possible for the release.

Is JSON handling integrated enough that if TheTVDB decided to go with a JSON API in the future that it'd be easy for XBMC to handle? Right now it's obviously all XML, but I'd love to save some bandwidth the easy way down the line. Smile

Looking forward to the release. Thanks for all the work you guys do.
Offtopic, but would you really save all that much considering the zipping of the "big" bits of XML?

Given that XBMC still uses regex to parse the XML, we could probably do the same trick with JSON. It's nasty, and something we hope to remedy after 10.05 (eg AaronD is looking at XLST to do the XML transform from your layout to our layout)

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

szsori Wrote:Is JSON handling integrated enough that if TheTVDB decided to go with a JSON API in the future that it'd be easy for XBMC to handle? Right now it's obviously all XML, but I'd love to save some bandwidth the easy way down the line. Smile

Looking forward to the release. Thanks for all the work you guys do.

No json isn't integrated at all like that, its strictly remote procedure calls. We have a library now which can do some json parsing but still, more or less, useless for the scraping engine afaik. As jmarshall say a transformation engine inside xbmc would be much nicer, one which could handle json, sql or whatever the data is bundled in.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi guys,
The XBMC trac system indicates that the new release should be finished in 5 days. Is that really the case? Can I get the new version for ATV at that time?

What is the upgrade procedure when I have:
- Crystal HD card and drivers (r26) installed from Launcher
- A big number of plugins running in the current version of XBMC

Will there be a newer version of Crystal HD drivers released together with XBMC? Do I need to install newer version to have everything running correctly?
reddeath Wrote:Hi guys,
The XBMC trac system indicates that the new release should be finished in 5 days. Is that really the case? Can I get the new version for ATV at that time?

What is the upgrade procedure when I have:
- Crystal HD card and drivers (r26) installed from Launcher
- A big number of plugins running in the current version of XBMC

Will there be a newer version of Crystal HD drivers released together with XBMC? Do I need to install newer version to have everything running correctly?

r26 is still the latest stable and working release for atv

-andy
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
no we're not going to release in 5 days. in a couple of months maybe.
Well, that looked too good to be true, especially that there has been around 74 open tickets for some time now and not dropping.
As this is not a commercial effort, these metrics are unfortunately not anything to go by.
I just changed the date on trac to 31.05.2010, that will probably not even hold true. (it will be ready whenever it's ready).

Also, whatever of these 74 open tickets will be open at the time of release will just be pushed to the next release.
Any idea when the automated builds will return?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Roadmap and release date0