• 11(current)
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)
Hi guys =) I am glad to say that I've increased my understanding of Linux, and that most of the guide is now understandable for me =)

However, when editing the launcher.xml file according to phearless instructions (as mentioned in the first post) I have a question.

Phearless states that the file is supposed to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
<launcher>
<name>Zsnes</name>
<application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
<args>-m -s -v 15 </args>
<rompath>/home/xbmc/roms/SNES/</rompath>
<romext>smc</romext>
<thumb></thumb>
<wait>true</wait>
<roms></roms>
</launcher>
</launchers>

However, what should I do when my launcher.xml file already contains information due to installing firefox via the launcher??

My Launchers.xml file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <launchers>
- <launcher>
<name>Firefox</name>
<application>/home/christian/scripts/firefox.sh</application>
<args />
<rompath />
<romext />
<thumb />
<wait>true</wait>
<roms />
</launcher>
</launchers>

Should I remove all this? Put the new text in between somewhere? I am a bit lost =) Please help

Mandrake
mandrake Wrote:Hi guys =) I am glad to say that I've increased my understanding of Linux, and that most of the guide is now understandable for me =)

However, when editing the launcher.xml file according to phearless instructions (as mentioned in the first post) I have a question.

Should I remove all this? Put the new text in between somewhere? I am a bit lost =) Please help

Mandrake

Each "launcher" is surrounded by its own <launcher>...</launcher> code. Therefore all you need to do is add your zsnes one above/underneath the </launcher> code for your firefox, like so ...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
        <launcher>
                <name>Zsnes</name>
                <application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
                <args>-m -s -v 15 </args>
                <rompath>/home/xbmc/roms/SNES/</rompath>
                <romext>smc</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>true</wait>
                <roms></roms>
       </launcher>
       <launcher>
                <name>Firefox</name>
                <application>/home/christian/scripts/firefox.sh</application>
                <wait>true</wait>
       </launcher>
</launchers>

ps i have removed the undeed xml tags for your firefox, just to make things look a little tidier. in all honesty, if you kept your code within xml files neat and tidy, it makes things a lot easier to look at and/or troubleshoot

hope this helps Big Grin
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

Thank you. It helps a lot =) those simple things for the regular linux user, are harder for us noobs =) I am amazed at the community help already..a week into using ubuntu and xbmc live.

I would like to add, to other newbies following this guide..a problem that I had (that I didn't find in the text, although it might be there)

When i created my sudo mkdir home/xbmc/roms/snes/ folder...I was about to transfer a rom to the directory using filezilla. It didn't work however, it only stated permission denied. I searched a bit, then found the way to edit the permission rights for the folder.

Then you write(using your own folder) and (in terminal) :

sudo chmode 777 home/xbmc/roms/snes/

This will allow you to transfer files to that folder

Mandrake
uhm, or simply don't sudo the mkdir. why would you sudo a mkdir in your own home directoryHuh
spiff Wrote:uhm, or simply don't sudo the mkdir. why would you sudo a mkdir in your own home directoryHuh

yup, and there are all sorts of perils to chmod'ing folders as 0777 (a habit im continually trying to break myself!)

0777 gives full read/write/execute priviledges to everyone
0755 gives full read to everyone, full write/execute is limited to the owner
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

Hey

Thank you for the guide. I got znes running, and I followed all the instructions for the nes mednafen guide.

Everything seemed ok, i found the roms when i clicked on nes in the laucher..however, when i click on a game,and the game is supposed to start, my tv goes black?

I am using hdmi for both audio and video if that helps..

any ideas?

EDIT: as for the sudo, i am a noob...so i thought the sudo command was something you always write. What does it do actually ? =) But my first question is the most important

Mandrake
I solved the black screen..just had to press the \ button =)

Final problem:

I edited the args for nes to:

<launcher>
<name>NES</name>
<application>/usr/games/mednafen</application>
<args>-nes.xres 1440 -nes.yres 1080 -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl</args>
<rompath>/home/xbmc/ROMS/NES/</rompath>
<romext>nes|zip|ZIP|NES|Nes|Zip</romext>
<thumb></thumb>
<wait>true</wait>
</launcher>

While the 1440 and 1080 makes the screen in the middle..it is not fullscreen..just a square in the middle..any solution ideas?

I have a 1080p 42 inch screen

Mandrake
mandrake Wrote:I solved the black screen..just had to press the \ button =)

Final problem:

I edited the args for nes to:

<launcher>
<name>NES</name>
<application>/usr/games/mednafen</application>
<args>-nes.xres 1440 -nes.yres 1080 -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl</args>
<rompath>/home/xbmc/ROMS/NES/</rompath>
<romext>nes|zip|ZIP|NES|Nes|Zip</romext>
<thumb></thumb>
<wait>true</wait>
</launcher>

While the 1440 and 1080 makes the screen in the middle..it is not fullscreen..just a square in the middle..any solution ideas?

I have a 1080p 42 inch screen

Mandrake

why do you want it fullscreen? don't you *want* it to be square (4x3, more accurately)? if not, go full stretch-o-vision mode and change it to 1920x1080.
Well,I don't necessarily need fullscreen, but the square screen right now, is kinda small i think.

So, in order to keep the 4:3 aspect,,is there any other resolution than 1440x1080 that could give me a larger screen? any suggestions?

Mandrake
Actually, to better explain it..i think my nes mednafen is running in a window sized square, albeit in the middle of the screen.

How do I un-window it, to make it bigger =)

Anyone?

Mandrake
I keep posting..then I keep gettins somewhat of solutions =)

What i had to do was to add -nes.stretch 1 in my args section , for nes, in launcher. That worked fine. I only have one more problem now, I press add thumb, then everything seems ok, i choose a picture..but it doesn't show, anyone know?

Mandrake
mandrake Wrote:EDIT: as for the sudo, i am a noob...so i thought the sudo command was something you always write. What does it do actually ? =) But my first question is the most important

Mandrake

it runs whatever command you type after it as if it were being run by root... SuperUserDo
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

ps has anyone managed to get an Exit mechanism wokring yet for joypads for Gens ? joy2key looks waaaay to much of a hassle Confused
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

Perhaps it's time to start getting in touch with the emulator creators themselves for anything that prevents easy integration into XBMC. for instance, if there's no controller-based exit function, how about emailing the Gens creator to request this feature? Although I can imagine it may be some time before they make any changes, it might actually just be something simple that they are willing to add quickly.
Not sure about the exit function

But does anyone know why my thumbnails doesn't show up after i successfully click thumb-do a yahoo search-and choose a picture?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)2