[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma
Manolo, the main difference between the XBMC Freak version is that using their ISO makes it SO MUCH easier to install and be up and running immediately. They include things like:

Quote:Auto create Alsa script for Nvidia ION and ION2 systems
Auto create Advanced Settings script for Nvidia ION and ION2 systems
Alsa unmute script for digital and sp/dif audio interfaces
@eaDir exclude when listing and indexing (Synology San)
Logitech Dinovo Edge support added
libRTMP support iPlayer BBC
Make MKV support (Blu-Ray)
Samba Windows File Sharing support
Proftpd support
Sabnzbd (nzb) and Transmission (torrent) downloading support
FireFly (iTunes) server added
Apache frontend with startpage added
WakeonLan, ethtool and locate commands added

Basically, they add in all of the things that you'd otherwise have to do manually after the XBMC standard Live installation. I highlighted the ones in Bold that are particularly important to me, but suffice it to say, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even if you don't use all of the features they include, there is nothing there that will cause you any issues by using their ISO.

Roelio Wrote:Great stuff Myrison! XBMC is getting a bit unstable here so I will try this quide tonight.

Btw. have you installed the Xbmcfreak improved version?

I have not as I did the upgrade to the new Kernel manually, which was a little painful but not the end of the world. If you don't want "wake from suspend" via USB (via remote control), then you can use the standard version. If you do want it, DEFINITELY use the 'improved' (or what they call 'unstable') version, as that includes the newer Linux Kernel that corrects the bug in the previous version. To clarify, this is/was a bug in the Linux code, not XBMC, and the only way to fix it is to upgrade to a newer Kernel, which you can do, but it requires a fair amount of work (reinstalling the kernel, then uninstalling and reinstalling NVidia drivers, then rerunning the alsa script in the original post to map your channels correctly).

If you're starting from scratch and want the wake from suspend via remote, definitely use the version based on Kernel 2.6.32-25.

By the way, if anyone is trying to make sense of how to add custom XBMC remote commands, I put up a new blog post last night. It's not meant to be a complete guide, but just to add a graphical representation of all of the files that are involved in properly getting custom mapped keys in XBMC working like you want them to. I read through all of the other guides a half dozen times and was still confused, so writing it out at least helped me make sense of it in my brain. Hopefully it's helpful to others as well. Smile
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Cool, I never managed to make the "wake from suspend" (with remote control) work so I will try this tonight. I had already installed the "improved" version.

Thanks for the scheme Big Grin
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
hexland Wrote:Sad

After rebooting, I was left with a loop of repeating '... invalid user_id(0)'

Same here. Ctl-Alt-F1 brings you back into a terminal but I can't start xbmc. I get the "cannot connect display / cannot start x server" error or something like that. It appears the Nvidia driver upgrade broke things.
zzachattack2 Wrote:Same here. Ctl-Alt-F1 brings you back into a terminal but I can't start xbmc. I get the "cannot connect display / cannot start x server" error or something like that. It appears the Nvidia driver upgrade broke things.

I ran into this problem on my Revo system when I followed the original instructions on a fresh Dharma Beta 2 install. For whatever reason, I didn't run into this two days ago when seemingly performing the same steps on another identical box.

If possible, I would reinstall XBMC, then SKIP STEPS 9-11. I did this on my end, and got everything working including the sound. Not sure what the Nvidia upgrade part accomplishes; I haven't seem a problem yet.
zzachattack2 Wrote:Same here. Ctl-Alt-F1 brings you back into a terminal but I can't start xbmc. I get the "cannot connect display / cannot start x server" error or something like that. It appears the Nvidia driver upgrade broke things.

Earlier in the thread I suggested:

Quote:Also, check this log: /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if you find any errors in that file indicating a problem with the graphics config on your display

You might want to take a look there to see if your xorg configuration is screwed up after the driver install.

You could also try the install without upgrading the Nvidia drivers, but I'm not sure if surround sound will work in this case. On one Revo in my house, I had it running w/o the Nvidia driver upgrade and it works fine, but I only have an analog audio connection on that TV.
Trancethereal Wrote:Not having luck ... following instructions and able to successfully create boot USB. However, when I try to run the XBMC Live Installer - I get the "No common CD-ROM drive was detected"

Setup: Acer Revo 1600
HD: SD 8 gig card (Internal HD Removed)

Any suggestions? I am trying to upgrade from a previous version (so I know my setup works)... I tried the Dharma 2 .iso in VirtualBox and noticed that it dumps me into a login prompt. Weird.

-bump (still unable to get past live install ... fails at "No common CD-Rom drive...")

Using UNetbootin 4.78 and the xbmcfreak-1000-beta2-t2.iso

Pressing f-12, I can see both my USB stick and 8gb SD card (will be my default hdd). I select the USB - and then get the splash screen and select "install XBMC live"

This walks through the setup (English / English) and then errors on the No common CD-rom.

The Acer Aspire does not have a CD-rom, not sure why it is causing an error?

I can't get past this screen (and don't know what logs to look for help). I am a linux noob - sorry, what may be obvious, isn't for me just yet.

Any suggestions?

PS - I can boot from the 8gb SD card using my previous install (trying to upgrade to Dharma 2 beta) - is there any easier way to upgrade the current version of XBMC? CAn you simply copy the Dharma2 beta files directly over the existing files on the SD card? Not sure it would be that simple...

PPS -I can now successfully boot to XBMC using Vbox with the newer xbmc freak beta-t2.iso
Trancethereal Wrote:PPS -I can now successfully boot to XBMC using Vbox with the newer xbmc freak beta-t2.iso

Does this mean your problem is solved or you're still not able to upgrade?
Out of curiosity, why upgrade nVidia drivers if the ones in the image seem to decode just fine?
When installing XBMC from the LiveCD image, has anyone tried setting up LVM? Event using default LVM settings of the installer (single root partition on LVM), the system doesn't boot afterward. Without LVM things are peachy. It seem that for a media center machine, the ability to dynamically resize storage partitions would be quite handy.
Great guide. Couple of questions:

1. Is there any reason to upgrade nVidia drivers? 195.x series seems to decode just fine. What extra things does the latest driver bring to the table?

2. Has anyone successfully installed XBMC onto LVM partitions? The installer gives you that option, but the system won't boot afterward. Seems like it would be handy to have resizeable partitions for media center system.
Sorry for the confusion.

I still have the problem booting from a USB (xbmc freak beta-t2) - I am unable to get passed the "no common drive" error.

I noticed that several other folks are having the same issue - but created separate threads.

My setup:
Acer Revo 1600
Internal Storage: 8gb SD card (internal sata hard drive removed)
Boot: 4 gb USB stick (format: fat32 - unetbootin with xbmc freak beta t2 .iso)

*** my comment about successfully booting with Vbox was only to confirm the newer beta t2 .iso worked. Where as previously, the beta 10.2 freak .iso did not ****

Here is someone else having the same problem:
a18041967 Wrote:I've now attempted to install the Live beta versions using SD media & the linux tool for writting ISO files to USB devices. Both occasions the Revo boots up from the SD and prompts for the keyboard layout and then fails when trying to find CD drivers.

Has anyone installed the beta using SD on a standard Revo or am I missing somthing very very basic.

Many Thanks
Duncan
On #1, based on the experiences of others above with booting to a black screen afterward, I'd say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

On #2, I have not.
Edit: stuck it in the main forum, oops!
I am getting the No Common CD-ROM issue on my Acer Revo, using latest version Unetbootin, have previous installation of XBMC camelot 9.11

*fixed the above issue but I am getting the NVIDIA Kernel issue after updating the display drivers. It booted up fine to GUI first time.

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 14:24:04 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=0ce32323-dd16-42c1-902a-6e4628b8b087 ro quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0 video=vesafb
Build Date: 21 July 2010 12:47:34PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct 9 20:12:38 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 195.36.24,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 256.53. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) Oct 09 20:12:41 NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

*EDIT*

Forget it, fixed it by purging all the old nvidia drivers and blacklisting some other display drivers. What a pain that was.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Cool, glad you got it all working. Yes, the purge process is annoying!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get quickly started with Acer Aspire Revo 1600 - Guide for XBMC Dharma1