[LINUX] Is VAAPI support included in standard XBMC 10.0 PPA package for Ubuntu?
Question 
A simple question:
For the new XBMC 10, does the Ubuntu PPA use a build with VA-API support?

I had assumed that it did since that's one of the major new features listed in the change-log but now I've heard some people say it's not included.
Search for vaapi in the log, if you have debug logging turned on it will tell you if it's compiled in.
if I have debug logging turned-on? Who maintains the PPA, can't they just say yea or nay?
bsmith1051 Wrote:if I have debug logging turned-on? Who maintains the PPA, can't they just say yea or nay?

So instead of you taking about 1 minute to check for yourself you want the busy devs to answer you... on new years day?
I don't know how to debug the log and I'm not expecting an answer right away. So I think my question is perfectly reasonable. As I said in my original post: This feature is 'advertised' as being part of the new version yet some people say it's really not. So perhaps the specific answer needs to be documented somewhere, e.g. on this support forum?
bsmith1051 Wrote:I don't know how to debug the log and I'm not expecting an answer right away. So I think my question is perfectly reasonable. As I said in my original post: This feature is 'advertised' as being part of the new version yet some people say it's really not. So perhaps the specific answer needs to be documented somewhere, e.g. on this support forum?

Go to Settings -> System -> Debugging -> tick "Enable Debug logging".

That gives you (in Linux) a file inside /home/username/.xbmc/temp called xbmc.log which is logging as much as possible. You don't have to debug the log, you just have to open it and search. Or just do the following:
grep -i vaapi /home/username/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Replace username in both instances with the username of your XBMC-user.
Praesten Wrote:Go to Settings -> System -> Debugging -> tick "Enable Debug logging".

That gives you (in Linux) a file inside /home/username/.xbmc/temp called xbmc.log which is logging as much as possible. You don't have to debug the log, you just have to open it and search. Or just do the following:
grep -i vaapi /home/username/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Replace username in both instances with the username of your XBMC-user.

If I don't have vaapi according to the log, how do I go about to get that? I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 with Dharma 10.0. Ati Radeon HD5450, and the fglrx (was that right?) proprietary drivers installed.
based on comments in the other "I can't get VAAPI to work" threads I'm going to guess that VA-API is not enabled in the current Ubuntu build, v10.0.

I can't test it myself because I blew-up my install trying to follow other people's suggestions about switching to the xorg-edgers PPA...
I installed XBMCLive Dharma and VAAPI libs (for AMD). I had no VAAPI option in the XBMC menu. Then I installer XBMC from Lars Op den Kamp's PPA. It gave me the VAAPI option in the menu, and it works. So no, I don't think VAAPI is enabled in official XBMC Dharma.
Probably there is a technical reason not to enable VAAPI by default?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Is VAAPI support included in standard XBMC 10.0 PPA package for Ubuntu?0