• 8(current)
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Observer Wrote:Sam

You Rock ! Success (from OSX adding a few macport tools fuse-ext2 and gptsync) !

Seems my initial attempts were being hampered by a doggy USB flash drive that would crap out half way though with I/O Read errors.

I guess when this line (below) in the ubuntu.sh script got stuck downloading the Root Image file...0k per sec for an hour....
Code:
wget "http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/ubuntu/hardy/core/Root.img.gz"
My only choice is to reboot and start again..it would be great however if the script had some checking to see if any of the images are already downloaded (comparing size/timestamp etc) , the wget -c & -N options may help here? This would also help if one was installing a series of ATV's...

Also is there some specific file structure on the swap partition requiring an image download or can this be created by issuing commands ?

BTW it would be cool if you published the download/update stats from your web server. From there there are a bunch of other "features" you could offer.

Just need to fix my judder, Alsa/SPDIF and some other video freeze and VC-1 container issues and I have a solution.

Please keep up the great work and I for one will continue to support you.

Great that it works. The script downloads every time for absolute freshness. If you wanted to image a series of aTVs, you'd have to reimage the USB every time or deal with a nasty Ubuntu udev rule (net-persistent-rules), as each aTV has a different NIC, thus different MAC, thus comes up as a different ethX which must be registered as auto in /etc/network/interfaces.

I'm not sure what you mean by stats? If it interests you to know, over a terrabyte has crossed the network in images since March 28th, although this seems to be steadying out now.

I'll keep maintaining the image -- there's some good stuff waiting for you like PVR support, and a small update I'll be pushing out soon. Stay tuned
Hi Sam,

First off thank you for the img.

I have done something bad I think, i ran

sudo apt-get update
and
sudo apt-get upgrade

and know I have a pink screen Blush any advice how I can fix it without reimaging the drive again Sad
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
Sorry. Unless I knew specifically what package was upgraded that caused the problem, I can't solve it. You'd best reimage.
Sad 
On my old Xbox with xbmc, large pictures show fine and smooth. Even slideshow works well! In SD resolution though.

Unfortunately my Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) with Sam's image (THANKS SAM!!) slideshow isn't working well with bigger images shot with my Canon 550D. 5184 x 3456 or even pictures with 3648 x 2736 pixels
The slideshow shows the first picture but skips the second by showing a black screen. It's very slow too...
This even happens when I try them from the internal disk, so it's not a nas problem with me.

Tested on 1280x720 (60) and 1920x1080 (60)..

Is this a know issue? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Djgodlike
The Netherlands
Is it possible to have wireless access once this is installed?
If you installed a crystalHD decoder card, then you removed your wireless card in the process - so no. If you did not, then yes - but - you will be limited to watching SD video (the odd 720p may work, but not well in my experience).
thnmnt Wrote:If you installed a crystalHD decoder card, then you removed your wireless card in the process - so no. If you did not, then yes - but - you will be limited to watching SD video (the odd 720p may work, but not well in my experience).

Ok, so the only instructions that I have been able to find are, http://dereenigne.org/computers/linux/ap...mment-1304

And that doesn't seem to work all the way, does anyone have any process that they did that worked, that they also would be willing to walk me through?

I didn't install the CrystalHD on this ATV, I need the wireless connection because it is in my bedroom in my apartment, therefore I can't being running cat cable through out the place.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive2