• 26(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-02-24, 21:59)Philmatic Wrote: You guys keep saying "Atom" when describing the Bay Trail CPUs, but the Liva uses a Celeron. Am I just not understanding something or does BayTrail Celeron = Atom?

Its my bad, or more like its Intel's bad. They have purposefully been mixing names recently Nvidia-style to hide stuff.

What matters is the platform and the underlying IPC of the microarchitecture. The Bay Trail platform, not matter what the core is called, always comes with the same weak Intel HD Graphics GPU. Like really weak, high-end ARM squishes it. It also always comes (unless I am mistaken which I can be) with a Silvermont core. Now Silvermont cores can be called Atoms (that is what I am used to calling them hence the confusion), or Pentium, or Celerons or whatever but what matters is how much it calculates per Ghz. Meanwhile Google pushed Intel and got Haswell IPC (which is their best stuff) in their Chromeboxes, which are also called Celerons. On some things it makes a small difference, on some things it makes a huge difference.

Silvermont:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvermont

Haswell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(mi...hitecture)

Matt is correct the biggest difference is in the GPU, the Haswell GPUs are significantly more powerful. Like a generation leap. I personally think that right now IPC matters a lot in the HTPC space, as you want to do as much as possible in a single core to get around inefficiencies in code (not Kodi code, everything). I am actually a fan of Samsung and Apple pushing more for a stronger IPC in the ARM space.

Thank you Matt & poofyhairguy, that i all the information I needed. I am returning my unopened Liva and getting a Chromebox instead.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Just wanted to chime in to say thank you to Matt Devo and poofyhairguy for the great tools, guides and helpfullness.
Thanks to this, the transformation of my new Chromebox to a Kodi appliance box went very smooth.
(2015-02-20, 20:47)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-20, 20:12)Rickt1962 Wrote: Found this while doing a search for the BEST BOX that can do everything and Do not see the category.......... A Set Top Box stb that can do Kodi/XBMC .... And Live TV tuner since I am in the U.S. the tuner can be 2 choices DVB-s2 which works for small dish satellite FTA or ATSC for antennas both as a option would also have DVR capabilities.

I have one of each now Vigica C70s running Android the only problem is not enough on board storage and XBMC stops working so hoping others have found better boxes Smile
Wetek are a sponsor of openelec and have a box with built in dvb-s (not sure if it is s2).

WeTek Plug & Play Tuner module for Satellite TV is Twin (2 x DVB-S/S2) tuner DVB-S/S2 compatible.
(2015-02-24, 23:23)olympia Wrote: Just wanted to chime in to say thank you to Matt Devo and poofyhairguy for the great tools, guides and helpfullness.
Thanks to this, the transformation of my new Chromebox to a Kodi appliance box went very smooth.

always nice to hear Smile
Only one suggestion: it would be nice to add to the wiki the workarounds for Pulse-Eight CEC issues from this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1749008

I lost some hair stucking with the issue not having video signal with the CEC adapter plugged in. Smile
(2015-02-24, 23:43)olympia Wrote: Only one suggestion: it would be nice to add to the wiki the workarounds for Pulse-Eight CEC issues from this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1749008

I lost some hair stucking with the issue not having video signal with the CEC adapter plugged in. Smile

surely as a Team-Kodi member you have the ability to edit the wiki, no? Smile Either way, I've summarized the linked info and added it to the wiki
(2015-02-24, 20:01)poofyhairguy Wrote: No, not really.

If you need HEVC encoding, best wait until Skylake to buy.

On the other side of the equation, since openelec is a specialized version of linux for handling multimedia would there be a public domain utility or utilities to handle HEVC encoding and decoding?

Would the Asus Chrombox be able to handle that sort of demand or would you be better off leaving it until Skylake processors come out next year or later?

Thanks.
openelec doesn't handle encoding. Nor IMHO should a HTPC front end be doing that.

IMHO (again) do your ripping and encoding on your server. HTPC should be small quiet efficient and be a player.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-25, 03:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 23:43)olympia Wrote: Only one suggestion: it would be nice to add to the wiki the workarounds for Pulse-Eight CEC issues from this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1749008

surely as a Team-Kodi member you have the ability to edit the wiki, no? Smile Either way, I've summarized the linked info and added it to the wiki

Fair point, but trust me it was not due to lazyness; I just didn't know how you prefer editing this page. Next time I will do it myself Smile
(2015-02-25, 11:01)olympia Wrote: Fair point, but trust me it was not due to lazyness; I just didn't know how you prefer editing this page. Next time I will do it myself Smile

eh, it could use a bit of a revamp anyway, and I'd rather the info be there and perhaps not in the ideal place than not there at all Smile
(2015-02-25, 07:11)mpmp Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 20:01)poofyhairguy Wrote: No, not really.

If you need HEVC encoding, best wait until Skylake to buy.

On the other side of the equation, since openelec is a specialized version of linux for handling multimedia would there be a public domain utility or utilities to handle HEVC encoding and decoding?

Would the Asus Chrombox be able to handle that sort of demand or would you be better off leaving it until Skylake processors come out next year or later?

Thanks.

nickr is 100% right. I would save the decoding for something running a full OS that can use Handbrake (the best encoding program IMHO). Skylake should bring encoding and decoding benefits for HEVC on certain platforms.

(2015-02-25, 17:42)poofyhairguy Wrote: nickr is 100% right. I would save the decoding for something running a full OS that can use Handbrake (the best encoding program IMHO). Skylake should bring encoding and decoding benefits for HEVC on certain platforms.

I see. So you are saying the best way to handle it should be on a server as nickr suggests? Running on a server (maybe a well powered Intel NUC with Skylake) and having the file that needs to be decoded video to the Chromebox (which I should have in about a week and a half).

I see that Handbrake has versions for Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu. So this server would probably need to be set up in Ubuntu to run Handbrake and then have the decoded file sent over to Openelec in order to feed it to Chromebox. The server would need both Ubuntu and Openelec. Or can they be doing sending while converting to Openelec. Wow ... this is sounding a little daunting.

Shocked

Is this correct? If not what would the overall process look like?

Huh
(2015-02-25, 18:51)mpmp Wrote: I see. So you are saying the best way to handle it should be on a server as nickr suggests? Running on a server (maybe a well powered Intel NUC with Skylake) and having the file that needs to be decoded video to the Chromebox (which I should have in about a week and a half).

Yes, that way you can use Quicksync for some of the encoding.

I have a couple of HP Microservers gen8 running esxi in the background. Could these be powerful enough to run the database and PVR in the background ?
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26