• 34(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
Hello, before I pull the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox M004U I just need to verify one thing - does it support surround sound? I'll be putting this through an Onkyo 7.1 system and if it doesn't support surround sound it's useless to me. I read in a couple other threads that it wasn't really supported so I need to be sure first if there are any experts here who can verify this...?
(2015-03-09, 17:38)nulllvalue Wrote: Hello, before I pull the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox M004U I just need to verify one thing - does it support surround sound? I'll be putting this through an Onkyo 7.1 system and if it doesn't support surround sound it's useless to me. I read in a couple other threads that it wasn't really supported so I need to be sure first if there are any experts here who can verify this...?
I still did not get a chance to open mine, but I read that it supports surround over HDMI. Others can confirm.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-03-09, 18:03)bym007 Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 17:38)nulllvalue Wrote: Hello, before I pull the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox M004U I just need to verify one thing - does it support surround sound? I'll be putting this through an Onkyo 7.1 system and if it doesn't support surround sound it's useless to me. I read in a couple other threads that it wasn't really supported so I need to be sure first if there are any experts here who can verify this...?
I still did not get a chance to open mine, but I read that it supports surround over HDMI. Others can confirm.

no idea where you read that, since it's never been the case. The ChromeBox supports full 7.1 HD audio bitstreaming via HDMI under Linux. Please check the ChromeBox wiki page (linked in my sig), it has all the info you need (and if it doesn't, let me know so I can update it)
(2015-03-09, 18:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 18:03)bym007 Wrote:

no idea where you read that, since it's never been the case. The ChromeBox supports full 7.1 HD audio bitstreaming via HDMI under Linux. Please check the ChromeBox wiki page (linked in my sig), it has all the info you need (and if it doesn't, let me know so I can update it)
I believe OP is mixing up Linux vs Windows installs. AFAIK, Chromebox does not support surround sound under Windows, due to lack of sound drivers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-03-09, 18:10)Matt Devo Wrote: no idea where you read that, since it's never been the case. The ChromeBox supports full 7.1 HD audio bitstreaming via HDMI under Linux. Please check the ChromeBox wiki page (linked in my sig), it has all the info you need (and if it doesn't, let me know so I can update it)

Awesome, thank you for the definitive answer.
(2015-03-09, 18:15)bym007 Wrote: I believe OP is mixing up Linux vs Windows installs. AFAIK, Chromebox does not support surround sound under Windows, due to lack of sound drivers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

this is not entirely correct. Currently, HDMI audio output does not work under Windows, at all (likely a firmware issue, not a driver one). You can certain use a cheap USB SPDIF adapter however and get 5.1 DD/DTS - just not full 7.1 HD audio.
(2015-03-09, 18:36)Matt Devo Wrote: this is not entirely correct. Currently, HDMI audio output does not work under Windows, at all (likely a firmware issue, not a driver one). You can certain use a cheap USB SPDIF adapter however and get 5.1 DD/DTS - just not full 7.1 HD audio.

However, if I run linux I will get full 7.1, right?
(2015-03-09, 18:54)nulllvalue Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 18:36)Matt Devo Wrote: this is not entirely correct. Currently, HDMI audio output does not work under Windows, at all (likely a firmware issue, not a driver one). You can certain use a cheap USB SPDIF adapter however and get 5.1 DD/DTS - just not full 7.1 HD audio.

However, if I run linux I will get full 7.1, right?
Correct.
(2015-03-09, 17:13)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 09:24)CoolKeith Wrote: i3 5th gen vs i5 4th gen. i5 I know is a faster and single core, but does that translate for media. Wat about gpu wise?

If I was picking between the two I would go 4th gen i5. 4th gen is when Intel GPUs got good enough.Of course I would only buy an i5 if I had a non-Kodi reason to do so.
Not that it matter as I will do an external gpu dock, but isn't the 5th gen gpu better when it comes to 4k? What would you suggest if I want a full browser and the ability to stream and play any video without a hickup? Hmm. btw this is an intel nuc i3 5th vs brix i5 4th.
Does SSD vs HDD vs SSHD really make a difference when it comes to playback and such(not streaming)?
Im looking at the $100 range and have been strongly considering the amazon fire or the raspberry pi 2 platform... It looks like to make the RPI2 fully functional w a power supply, sd card case and shipping I would be running ~$75? The only downside I see on the RPI2 is that it doesn't have wifi. But will the amazon fire be able to stream well enough on wifi or will I have to connect it via ethernet?

One other option that I was considering was the roku 3 solely for the reason that it has a headphone jack on the remote. I know this seems gimmicky, but it would be great to be able to run on the treadmill and have earphones. I am assuming that there must be some sort of app that you could use on your iPhone with kodi that would allow you to do this with any platform? Does anyone have experience/recommendations with this?
If you can stretch your budget $20, you can get a Chromebox.
some people say they're no good. In my opinion samsung hdd aren't as bad as some of other brands I've owned.
(2015-03-09, 17:11)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 22:47)mingus Wrote: It's my first post in this forum so, first of all sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong area.

Now, Right now I don't have that much money to spend so I was thinking about buying a Mk808b Plus to have as my first android tv system. Can someone tell me wether I'm doing a smart purchase or if I would be better off saving the money for a better thing?

It depends on what you want it for.

To play media off of a local wall-powered hard drive? I like mine for that.

Streaming media across your network? No the wifi is too weak, and the ethernet drivers are flaky.

What should I buy then?? If it's a bit more expensive it's ok. It has to be a stick and I want it to stream live tv as steadily as possible. Also, it has to operate based on wifi because my router isn't in the same room(there's only a normal wall and a meter between them). It can't be Raspberry cause I won't be the only one to use it and my girlfriend has problems with anything she's not used to and she's already used to Android
Unfortunately Android and Live TV = best of luck with that, especially in a stick format.

Deinterlacing will be a problem generally with any Android device, it may work at a SD resolution but HD forget about it.

Save yourself grief now and get a RPi 2 regardless of what your girlfriend is used to. She won't be happy with crap picture quality.
The learning curve is not at all hard with the RPi2, if you get the correct parts to start off with.

Get a cheap Fire TV stick as well for paid services like Netflix to complement the RPi2. You have the cheapest and best of both worlds then without compromising video picture quality or paid services.

You have backed yourself into a corner, and need widen your focus.

• 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26