• 43(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-04-27, 21:51)nickr Wrote:
(2015-04-27, 15:30)SABERZAID Wrote: so what the best box (for kodi and media center ) (not android) my budget is around 350usd ,

Chromebox.
Will it handel the new codecs . 3d and full hd . 4k also? .

I need a device for at lest one time investment for the upcoming 3 years . Budget around 600 maybe
(2015-04-27, 22:39)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-04-27, 21:51)nickr Wrote:
(2015-04-27, 15:30)SABERZAID Wrote: so what the best box (for kodi and media center ) (not android) my budget is around 350usd ,

Chromebox.
Will it handel the new codecs . 3d and full hd . 4k also? .

I need a device for at lest one time investment for the upcoming 3 years . Budget around 600 maybe
This topic has been discussed to death in last few pages. I highly recommend you to read up and make up your own mind.

In short, until the newer codecs and content becomes easily available, it is not easy nor practical to recommend a future proof investment in HTPC.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-04-01, 15:58)thebearnecessit Wrote: I'm looking at getting a celeron chromebox. 2 quick questions:

1. Does the glowing report in the OP for chromeboxes still apply to chromebooks? See what I really need is a lightweight laptop so I'm thinking a lightweight laptop with great xbmc compatibility sounds perfect just for watching in bed etc, not for connecting to a screen and disconnecting every time.

2. Anyone know about all the different model numbers? I don't know what they all mean. Just worried I might get a crap one or an incompatible one, so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to tell me a few model numbers that are the best ones to look out for?

It has been a few days since you posted this, but I am running Openelec in a dual boot setup on a Dell Chromebook 11 and it works fine, installation was a little tricky being creating the restore media was PITA. I used this post (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362) to do it, once doing the restore media everything worked like a champ.
Ok so I've had a quadro 2 cheap fully loaded box behind my tele for a while, I've no idea what I've done but it's wiped itself, I am willing to purchase a lower end chrome box, but have no clue how to 'fully load' it once I purchase it.
And being a bellend around technology is like it all done for me, and support to follow
I also have a cccam blade box with a subscription for sky UK, can I combine the two? And buy 1 machine
Thanks you can email me if nessesary
[email protected][/b]
If you mean what I think you mean by 'fully load' then I suggest you read forum rules (wiki). Particularly as you have already been referred to them and your first post sinbinned.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Same goes for cccam with UK sky too.
Hello, I am a bit confused about the Fire Tv, somewhere I read you need to root it before the very first boot in order to see external HDD plugged in and somewhere else I read that even unrooted you can see the external HDD but only from the Kodi app. some advices? ALSO: do the apps works without being a prime subscribers? Like youtube etc?
as i personally own a raspberry pi2, wetek play and now an asus celeron chromebox - i have to say i fully support the opinion of the op. the few more $ you have to spend to get a chromebox compared to a pi2 is definitely worth it and well spent. everything runs a lot smoother and thanks to matt devo's script the setup is very easy. 4k is not relevant for me atm.
Hi! I'm new here, and a total ignorant about this stuff. I would like to buy a device that runs Kodi so I can have a multilingual TV, viewing channels all over the world. That's always been my dream. So, live TV is my main goal here, although other stuff would be nice too (streaming movies, etc). I live in Spain (the Internet connection is not great), and the TV has no access to an Ethernet cable (between the router and the TV room there's the kitchen), so I have to use Wi-Fi. So, HD would be nice but I understand maybe it's not possible (that's OK).

My questions now: I'd like to know why the main post says "Do not get a FireTV if you care about LiveTv". What attracts me about the Fire TV is that putting Kodi on it seems very easy, without weird difficult hacking. Also, is it really worth it to get the Fire TV box instead of the stick? The Chromebox seems too expensive to me, and there's too much "hacking" needed (it looks difficult), and the Raspberry Pi 2 seems nice and cheap but you have to buy a lot of accessories with it...

So, I'm quite lost, I've been googling and youtubing for days about this. Fire TV looks the easiest one of the three, but I'm worried about the "Do not get a FireTV if you care about LiveTv". If I could buy a Chromebox that had already Kodi preinstalled I'd totally buy it!

Or do you have any other devices in mind?

Thanks!
Looks like my Celeron NUC will be redundant then when h265 takes off. Skylake here I come.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2015-04-29, 12:32)WantWorldTV Wrote: So, I'm quite lost, I've been googling and youtubing for days about this. Fire TV looks the easiest one of the three, but I'm worried about the "Do not get a FireTV if you care about LiveTv". If I could buy a Chromebox that had already Kodi preinstalled I'd totally buy it!

Yes thats correct, do not get a Amazon Fire TV if you want to watch acceptable 50Hz Live TV. You are in Europe with very likely 25i/50i interlaced Live TV broadcasts that will not deinterlace properly with hardware acceleration enabled. Want proof...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222434

If you also care about perfect 23.976fps (24p) movies do not get a AFTV as it does not support dynamic refresh rate switching either.
A Chromebox or a RPi2 for Kodi + DVB-T Live TV viewing in Europe/Oz/NZ will give you superior results.

Have a good look at the Wetek Play if you want an out of the box solution. This will also give you the option of OpenElec / Kodi + Live TV + Android for Netflix etc. Wetek are in Europe and will provide good support for Kodi and the Wetek Play.

https://wetek.com/
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213747

Other options are AMlogic S805 SoC devices can run 50Hz Live TV and deinterlacing very well, even when using Kodi / Android. These support dynamic refresh rate switching. But have other limitations such as no perfect 24p.

http://www.amazon.com/NUC5i5RYH-System-B...+NUC5i5RYH

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKH1KMO/ref=...FF74MW#Ask

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBOX-M00...ZCBMBEEP9N

what you think guys of those options
SABERZAID if you are going to use for KODI only buy ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U with stock options the one that's 160$.
Thumbs Up 
wrxtasy, thanks a lot! The Wetek Play looks awesome! I think I'm defenitely buying it!
Wetek defintivly best choose for people with low budget and TV like first goal
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26