• 46(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-05-10, 17:09)bluenote Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 16:48)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 16:47)bluenote Wrote: For some clients I need netflix and mpeg live tv. This seems to mean android for the netflix, but is there a android box that can handle 1080I?

If you want live TV on Android go for wetek play.

I'm in ATSC land, and if I were going client & server on wetek I'm not aware of any backend software that works with it as yet?
But for this case I'm looking for something that can handle the client job, which isn't always a given using MPEG2-1080i.
thx

You can get a wetek with an atsc tuner and run it with tvheadend on Android if you want.

Or you can get one without a tuner and use it with kodi as a client of your normal backend, as it's an amlogic box it does fantastic deinterlacing.

If you want decent deinterlacing and android the wetek your only choice tbf (I have a fire TV too and although on isengard it does some deinterlacing it's not a patch on the wetek)
(2015-05-10, 17:29)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 17:09)bluenote Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 16:48)tdw197 Wrote: If you want live TV on Android go for wetek play.

I'm in ATSC land, and if I were going client & server on wetek I'm not aware of any backend software that works with it as yet?
But for this case I'm looking for something that can handle the client job, which isn't always a given using MPEG2-1080i.
thx

You can get a wetek with an atsc tuner and run it with tvheadend on Android if you want.

Or you can get one without a tuner and use it with kodi as a client of your normal backend, as it's an amlogic box it does fantastic deinterlacing.

If you want decent deinterlacing and android the wetek your only choice tbf (I have a fire TV too and although on isengard it does some deinterlacing it's not a patch on the wetek)

Thanks, this is really good information. I'm confused though - the wetek forums seem to suggest android/atsc/(tvheadend?) don't really work (at least to my reading and it's early here I'll grant), only openelec/tvheadend/wetek work, are you using ATSC/android/tvheadend on the wetek yourself? If not could you point me to where you're seeing info about this?

thanks, much appreciate the education
(2015-05-10, 17:38)bluenote Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 17:29)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-05-10, 17:09)bluenote Wrote: I'm in ATSC land, and if I were going client & server on wetek I'm not aware of any backend software that works with it as yet?
thx

Thanks, this is really good information. I'm confused though - the wetek forums seem to suggest android/atsc/(tvheadend?) don't really work (at least to my reading and it's early here I'll grant), only openelec/tvheadend/wetek work, are you using ATSC/android/tvheadend on the wetek yourself? If not could you point me to where you're seeing info about this?

thanks, much appreciate the education

As far as i know atsc was fixed in release 1.14 of the wetek os last week.

Also take a look at ChristianTroy's CM11 builds with tvheadend - these are android based, but use same tvheadend and TV card drivers as openelec so should work too.
Basically anything with an AMlogic SoC that can run either an official of unofficial version of OpenElec, will give you the ability to install the TvHeadend backend server from OpenElec's unofficial repository. This works well with great deinterlacing quality.

AMlogic TV / OpenElec distros...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/...s-t2832289

Also versions of the TvHeadend server are also being developed to run on various Android devices.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182218

Though avoid the ODroid C1 if you are using an AVR and want 1080p output in a Linux based distro like OpenElec. Unless something has changed recently 1080/50p and 1080/60p output modes in Linux are flaky as hell. Audio and video drop outs far too frequent to be useable.
Yes agreed HDMI TV output only at this stage for the ODROID-C1. Although it runs Netflix extremely well for me at 24Hz. Smile

Other AMlogic S805 hardware that is running Android and should run Kodi + Live TV client is the Videostrong K1......
DVB-T2 or DVB-S2 tuners included.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216751

Asus VM62N or Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH ?
What do you want to do with this device firstly ?
Launch Lunar Probes or just Kodi streaming ?

ASUS i3 or i5 there are many varients ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+5250U

(2015-05-12, 11:59)wrxtasy Wrote: What do you want to do with this device firstly ?

media center , kodi , watching online movies , full hd , 3d etc

asus comes with i5 but its 4th gen , the nuc is the 5th gen
(2015-05-12, 14:06)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-05-12, 11:59)wrxtasy Wrote: What do you want to do with this device firstly ?

media center , kodi , watching online movies , full hd , 3d etc

asus comes with i5 but its 4th gen , the nuc is the 5th gen

Celeron will do most of this, less flash based browser videos and frame packed 3D. Even on a Win8 platform.
But for more general use and a bit of CPU breathing room, minimum i3. 5th gen i5 for future proofing maybe - but consider your typical pattern of hardware replacement first. The price bump is significant.

I've been using the DN2820FYKH for about a year (4GB RAM, small SSD), and even running Win8pro it does everything fine. Except the mentioned in-browser flash based players, where it falls a little short of fluid playback. OpenELEC will further ease the OS load.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I hv just order the intel nuc nuc5i5ryu with 8 gb ram . And 120gb ssd from samsung .
Hi,
Two days ago I had never heard of kodi or xbmc...
I never needed anything like this, I was living in France and my internet provider had a tv box which was doing everything, from reading 3D blu ray to sending any video from any computer to the tv box and read it, I could even watch any video file I had on my tv box from my phone from anywhere in europe for free.
And 2 days ago I moved to England, and I've just had the virgin media tv box installed...... and I can't do anything with it except watching tv Sad
They even disabled the 2 usb port on the back !

So i've been looking for a solution...
And that's how I've read about Kodi, and it looks great.
But I don't know what to buy, and that's why I need your help.

All I need is something that I can connect my external hard drive to and that will play my avi/mp4/mkv videos in 1080p.
I need it to have wifi so that I can just copy my movies to my external hard drive without having to unplug it from the tv box.
I don't have any 3D Tv so 3D is not a requirement.

About Chromebox,
That is over my budget sadly... I'm looking for something under/around 60£ or 70£

About RPi2,
I live with my wife who probably won't like the look of it haha !
Also I'd like something that I can use with a remote.
And if I can have something ready out of the box that would be perfect, because I don't think I will have time to get into understanding/installing all the requirements.

So...
I've found some android tv box on amazon.... like the M8 box, but I've read that Android wasn't the best thing for a tv box.
Then in this thread, several people recommend the Wetek Play, which is an android box.
So I'm a bit lost, especially that the M8 seems to have a better hardware than the wetek play and is cheaper.

What do you think would be the best choice for me ?
And why do people prefer the wetek play over something like the M8 ?

Also, sorry for any english mistake in my post, it's not my mothertongue.
No No get the pi2. Really, put it behind the TV or get a nice case, she will never see it. Any remote that works on linux should work on it. (Yes you will probably have to put the IR receiver where she can see it).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-13, 09:15)nickr Wrote: No No get the pi2. Really, put it behind the TV or get a nice case, she will never see it. Any remote that works on linux should work on it. (Yes you will probably have to put the IR receiver where she can see it).

This. The Pi 2 is the best value Kodi box you can get, if you can't run to the Chromebox the Pi 2 really is the best box to go for. Amazing support from the Kodi developers. If you install OpenElec it just works.

If you are looking for a nice looking Raspberry Pi 2 case :

http://thepihut.com/products/flirc-raspberry-pi-b-case
http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/case...case-white (or black)
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-pibow

They are all good looking cases. The Flirc case looks very much like a NUC.
Yup totally agree with Nickr and Noggin (almost sounds like Bill and Ben Wink )

RPi2, bury it under a cabinet or Velcro it to the back of the TV out of sight.
Buy the cheapest case if hiding the device, but make sure you get the recommended 2.0Amp/5V power supply and Samsung micro SDHC card.

You can control it with a HDMI CEC compatible TV - remote control if you have one of those.

If not get the usb device FLIRC and it will learn IR commands from any remote control you may have.
It has a very sensitive Infra Red receiver on it that will work from behind a TV even if it's pointed at the wall.
A usb2 extension cord may help otherwise.

• 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26