• 56(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-06-07, 19:34)ciao8167 Wrote: Network attached storage. I have WD network hard drive with 600gb of movies/tv shows/music and the android app is terrible and crashes often

I don't think you understand how Kodi interfaces with a NAS, it doesn't use apps or anything like that, it uses standard network protocols to access the shares. WD having a crappy android app is meaningless for Kodi to make use of it, regardless of platform. And the Chromebox doesn't have any issues with accessing shared content on any NAS, not sure what you mean by 'same issues with windows and netflix.' Same issues as what?
(2015-06-07, 19:12)ciao8167 Wrote: I want a home theatre pc to run everything in my setup including a NAS.

I understand that the chromebox doesnt really connect well with nas, or netflix, same issues with windows and netflix.
I have no idea where you got that idea from.

A Chromebox running OpenElec is just like any other x86 box running Linux or OpenElec. You get rock solid SMB/CIFS and/or NFS networking. I have zero problems connecting my Chromeboxes running OE to my unRAID server (which is effectively a home made NAS). I usually use SMB/CIFS on unRAID.

SMB/CIFS = SAMBA = Windows file sharing protocol.
So I just recently became aware that people are taking these relatively cheap i3 Chromeboxes and making great Openelec Kodi boxes with them. I just bought a Shield and, while I hope they add all the codecs necessary to make it the go to, easy out of the box Kodi / Emby unit, it seems that OE with a Chromebox is already there. However, I would like to also have the box serve as a web browser for the few times I want to do that at the TV. So I can just dual boot a Chromebox back to regular Chrome OS and get on the web when I want? My ultimate goal is to have a box that I deploy at every TV in my house that can play back, I assume through KODI, my 1:1 Blu ray rips with proper 23.976 support and HD audio bitstreaming. And then of course having an app, apparently also in KODI, for the upcoming HDHR DVR. Obviously I miss out on native 4k Netflix and the gaming of the Shield by going this route. Anything else?

I actually would REALLY like to just use Emby's Android TV player and the Shield, since I love Emby and use their server, but using their player requires that the Shield natively support all of the containers and codecs that I use, which it currently does not. Perhaps I will give them a month or two to see what they are going to add, then just just drop Shield in favor of a ChromeBox with OE and KODI if it appears they are not going to add those codecs.

Last question... in running OE and Kodi, do you need to know / understand Linux commands? I can type verbatim what I am told in wiki entries or setup guides, but I am totally lost when it comes to understanding Linux commands. Sudo this and that, etc..... No idea..... long time Windows guy with a few Command line or powershell bits thrown in very sparingly. Do I need to know that to get along nicely with an OpenElec install?
(2015-06-07, 23:27)hifiaudio2 Wrote: So I just recently became aware that people are taking these relatively cheap Celeron 2955U Chromeboxes and making great Openelec Kodi boxes with them.

FTFY

Quote:Last question... in running OE and Kodi, do you need to know / understand Linux commands?

no, just the two to download/run the EZ setup script in ChromeOS. OpenELEC turns the ChromeBox (or any PC) into a Kodi appliance.
(2015-06-07, 23:27)hifiaudio2 Wrote: So I just recently became aware that people are taking these relatively cheap i3 Chromeboxes and making great Openelec Kodi boxes with them.

Not the i3 Chromeboxes, we're using the cheaper Haswell Celeron 2955U Chromeboxes. The 2955U has hit a sweet spot for CPU and GPU performance that works brilliantly for Kodi with H264 and MPEG2 SD and HD content - including brilliant deinterlacing for live/recorded TV.
Ah ok.. so this guy?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M00...B00IT1WJZQ
Yes
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Did anyone consider one of the better spec'ed Zotac boxes?
Are they worth the difference in price, compared to the performance bump? Or is it negligible for Kodi/HTPC device only?
Yes plenty of people use the Zotac BI320 are here are the small differences between it and the ASUS Chromebox:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1871938

Hi all,

I've seen various different units for using xmbc/kodi and need some advise on what is really best for my needs

I've come from a pch c-200 that played all my media without issues (i have lot of mkv passthrough of bd movies with full dts-hd and true-hd audio tracks)

I'm now needing a new box to play the same but using kodi and to also allow streaming from internet

I've tried the following without success

OpenHour Chamelon - Couldn't play MKV's with stuttering, overall extremely poor performance
Mede8er 600 - This worked for media, but was experiencing issues with random crashes/lockups and issues with the RTC (kept loosing time and settings)
Minix Neo Z64 - This couldn't play my MKV's or even H.265 encoded media
Minix Neo 8H Plus - Currently testing and have found that this does not support DTS-HD or True-HD passthrough

I'm using a Onkyo TX-NR515 and have been looking at the following units

Asus Chromebox
Intel NUC5i3RYK

Would either of these units be suitable for my playback (including DTS-HD & True-HD passthrough)

The box will only be used for media playback and nothing else (ie MKV (BD & DVD) and Music)

Will opening the Chromebox to make the changes to install a different OS invalidate any warranty and can you easily upgrade the memory to 4GB (and would you need that)

Or would be better to pay that bit extra and get the NUC and purchase 4gb low profile memory and 64gb ssd

I have been searching for the best, but it's a minefield
Just get the standard Chromebox like everyone else buys, no need for any extras or to spend more for what you want to do. OpenElec / Kodi does not need a Supercomputer to run well.

As Page #1 of this thread tells you:
Quote:[The "I Just Want the Best Kodi Experience I Can Get in A Small Quiet Box in 2015" Category]

Get a Celeron Chromebox and put Openelec onto it.

poofyhairguy is not making up this Shit up. Trust the Dude and put faith in the 311 page - Asus/HP/Acer/Dell ChromeBox EZ Setup.... thread that should tell you something about the popularity of this device....

We encourage people to self read as well. Your other questions are answered in the Wiki... namely the Chromebox Overview section....
http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox

If you need what the standard Chromebox running OpenElec offers + Hybrid HEVC(H265) decoding. Then look at a device from the following thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229096

thanks for the reply - i've been reading a lot of information at the moment and had been looking at the chromebox and nuc wiki for kodi
Hi guys, a total newbie here. I have 50mb broadband, and a TV to put in a bedroom that is nowhere near any aerial points etc. I want a nice, easy to use, wifi Kodi box that is going to be 'plug and play'.

Any recommendations please for something easy as a first box to get used to the systems before thinking about something 'meatier' further down the line?

The TV will be wall mounted, so something easily hidden/positioned is preferable.

Thanks guys for any suggestions Smile
a basic RPi2 Kit that includes:
- RPi2 Model B
- Power Supply 2.0Amp/5V
- Case
- NOOBS micro SDHC card (You can buy a Samsung SD card (MB-MP16DA/AM) and flash your own Kodi / OpenElec easily too)
- Velcro Tape or similar to tape the small RPi2 to the back of the TV.

Watch this video:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

Install OpenElec

then for superior WiFi, you need at least a MIMO usb (Dual Band Better):
Netis WF2123 Wireless N300 Nano USB Adapter

If you have a HDMI-CEC control compatible TV, you can control Kodi using your TV's remote.
The HDMI-CEC hardware is already built into the RPi2

http://kodi.wiki/view/CEC

No HDMI-CEC control then get a FLIRC usb IR receiver, this can then be re-used for your "meatier" box down the track.
https://flirc.tv/

Then remember to deeply inhale as you unwrap the RPi2 to fully appreciate the fresh tangy Raspberry Smell Wink

hi all..

I am looking for a new box. For years I have ran xbmc/now kodi of a laptop or android device. I research alot, and thought I would pop in and ask the Kodi world about eh newer PC minis vs the android. I'm not interested in promoting a pre-installed android box, so I will just give some specs.

If i get an Android, it will be with the latest os. It will be quadcore, 2 memory/16 gig hard drive. It will also havs the Mali450 Octo Core 3D GPU Graphics Processor.

If a mini PC it will be this model http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Fanless-Wi...V4S6DAXSZP

OR

http://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE%C2%AE-iPC...SANX3WN867

Any thoughts on the resolution and playback between the 2 os. 4k in android vs windows?
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26