• 58(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
Well you can choose to pay in GBP on Amazon but yeah Amazon exchange rate is not good.
CHROMEBOX or NVIDIA SHIELDHuh?

My use case:

Kodi for mainly playing tv/movies (720/1080) off an SMB share, and some emulators. I'm fine with using the smart tv for netflix.

If chromebox, should I be getting the i3 instead of celeron?

I'm ok with using a controller as remote control, I really liked using the original xbox one for xbmc.

I last used XBMC on gen 1 XBOX (STILL the best media player solution I've had) so I'm a little out of the game. Thanx!
(2015-06-19, 14:07)tredman Wrote: Only certainties in life are death, taxes and getting screwed on gbp/usd exchange rate for electricals...

Except that you can be certain that at some point you will be hungry, thirsty and if you drink the water in some places you can be certain that you will crap your pants. Wink
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-06-20, 01:01)snooters Wrote: If chromebox, should I be getting the i3 instead of celeron?
Have a look here for details of exactly what a vanilla Chromebox can do:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2026240

(2015-06-20, 01:01)snooters Wrote: CHROMEBOX or NVIDIA SHIELDHuh?

Kodi for mainly playing tv/movies (720/1080) off an SMB share, and some emulators. I'm fine with using the smart tv for netflix.

(...)

I last used XBMC on gen 1 XBOX (STILL the best media player solution I've had) so I'm a little out of the game. Thanx!

Hi,
i'm in the same situation. Used XBMC on Xbox first generation until some days ago. Now i'm buying a sony android tv (4k), and i'd like to know the best solution for kodi.
(2015-06-22, 13:08)magic Wrote:
(2015-06-20, 01:01)snooters Wrote: CHROMEBOX or NVIDIA SHIELDHuh?

(...)

Hi,
i'm in the same situation. Used XBMC on Xbox first generation until some days ago. Now i'm buying a sony android tv (4k), and i'd like to know the best solution for kodi.

Same as the first post in this thread:

For the cost of entry now (compared to what you are dropping on that 4k tv), get a pi2 (and its accessories) or a chromebox. I have 3 pi's (non 2's) for all my tvs. They all work great, aside from the SD card sometimes acting up (resolved in new pi's by going with a snap in microSD).

If I were spending money today though, I'd probably get a chromebox, since its x86, fast, and comes with ram/ssd/etc and is all ready to go, other than a remote. Since i have FLIRCs for all my pi's, I'd just recycle one of them.

If you want to spend money, explore and test all sorts of options, try all the other crazy shit people mention around here. If you want it to just work, and have 100's of pages of data/troubleshooting/information available for the platform you chose, get a pi2 or a chromebox.
chromebox it is!

thanx.
Now that ASRock Beebox and Nvidia Shield Android TV is available should still outdated thread still be a sticky when poofyhairguy's original post is not constantly updated by forum mods?

Recommend either unsticking it or having several forum moderators updating it regularly.
(2015-06-23, 12:45)RockerC Wrote: Now that ASRock Beebox and Nvidia Shield Android TV is available should still outdated thread still be a sticky when poofyhairguy's original post is not constantly updated by forum mods?

Recommend either unsticking it or having several forum moderators updating it regularly.

I didn't know it was the moderators' job to keep Poofy's post updated
(2015-06-23, 17:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 12:45)RockerC Wrote: Now that ASRock Beebox and Nvidia Shield Android TV is available should still outdated thread still be a sticky when poofyhairguy's original post is not constantly updated by forum mods?

I didn't know it was the moderators' job to keep Poofy's post updated
It isn't, but isn't it a moderators responsibility to either unsticky threads that are no longer up-to-date or request the original posted to update? In this specific case I just think that original post is now outdated and no longer recommends the best options, which is why it was a sticky in the first place. Again it was only a recommendation, and no offense meant.
why not have a thread that points to a wiki in the first post
(BEST KODI BOX AND WHY BY KODI COMMUNITY)
this way users that are passionate such as RockerC can update as they see fit
and the rest of the thread (and the wiki :p ) can still let users discuss...

RockerC why don't you start the thread and ask for a moderator to have it sticky?
(2015-06-24, 12:38)MediaPi Wrote: why not have a thread that points to a wiki in the first post
(BEST KODI BOX AND WHY BY KODI COMMUNITY)
this way users that are passionate such as RockerC can update as they see fit
and the rest of the thread (and the wiki :p ) can still let users discuss...

RockerC why don't you start the thread and ask for a moderator to have it sticky?
You mean precisely like this sticky thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216327 and this existing wiki page => http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices ?
no, the Popular Hardware list, is just listing hardware, some of which are really recommended, same with wiki

the great thing about poof's thread was that it actually gave you recommendations and it was simple
pi2 entry level ... whats it good for
chromebox next level whats it good for
and if your needs are higher then....

he talked about hd audio and all that

a wiki similar to that and which can break down into further catogories like android needed.

the thread that your referring to is somewhat linked to kodi, this thread wil be purely from the users to the users, with expert advice from expert devs to.

hopefully the evolution of the potential wiki thread can evolve
Quote:For the cost of entry now (compared to what you are dropping on that 4k tv), get a pi2 (and its accessories) or a chromebox. I have 3 pi's (non 2's) for all my tvs. They all work great, aside from the SD card sometimes acting up (resolved in new pi's by going with a snap in microSD).

If I were spending money today though, I'd probably get a chromebox, since its x86, fast, and comes with ram/ssd/etc and is all ready to go, other than a remote. Since i have FLIRCs for all my pi's, I'd just recycle one of them.

If i don't care (for now) for 4k playback, which minimum chromebox specs do you suggest for perfect 1080p playback and smooth kodi interface?

Thanks!
(2015-06-24, 18:05)magic Wrote:
Quote:For the cost of entry now (compared to what you are dropping on that 4k tv), get a pi2 (and its accessories) or a chromebox. I have 3 pi's (non 2's) for all my tvs. They all work great, aside from the SD card sometimes acting up (resolved in new pi's by going with a snap in microSD).

If i don't care (for now) for 4k playback, which minimum chromebox specs do you suggest for perfect 1080p playback and smooth kodi interface?

Thanks!

Chromebox (wiki) the 2955u model.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26