• 60(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-07-02, 01:01)nickr Wrote: Why wouldn't you be getting audio over HDMI?

X220 doesn't have HDMI, neither does the docking station.

(2015-07-02, 01:27)Topken Wrote: Displayport handles Audio just fine if that is what you are thinking is wrong.

DP on the laptop or on the docking station? Do you mean DP to HDMI will be able to send audio?
(2015-07-02, 02:08)hyde01 Wrote:

(2015-07-02, 01:27)Topken Wrote: Displayport handles Audio just fine if that is what you are thinking is wrong.

DP on the laptop or on the docking station? Do you mean DP to HDMI will be able to send audio?
Yes
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-02, 02:32)nickr Wrote:
(2015-07-02, 02:08)hyde01 Wrote:

Yes

That is awesome! Thanks!
When I say "yes" it SHOULD work, but whether there are any driver or hardware quirks in relation to any particular hardware combination is unknowable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am hoping that one of you experts can please recommend a TV box with Kodi with my criteria below.

My criteria:
Must run Android.
TV usage only.
Must have a web browser.
Must have a good Android app to control Kodi and also to control other Android apps.
Good WiFi.
Easy to set up.
Good spec.

Thank you.
So I will do a full update soon and I would love further suggestions. With that said tonight I deleted the Amazon Fire TV stuff because Amazon is on the list now. Long live Kodi!

(2015-07-02, 20:01)Wigguslong Wrote: I am hoping that one of you experts can please recommend a TV box with Kodi with my criteria below.

My criteria:
Must run Android.
TV usage only.
Must have a web browser.
Must have a good Android app to control Kodi and also to control other Android apps.
Good WiFi.
Easy to set up.
Good spec.

Thank you.

For the requirements listed...
Easy to setup (plug and play virtually) with the most mature Android Firmware + an external WIFI antenna for good WIFI reception.

Grab a MINIX Neo X6

You will also get 23.976/59.94Hz properly synced video output plus HEVC (H265) codec decoding.
Deinterlacing video when viewing Broadcast TV with the AMlogic S805 in the MINIX is very good.

You can get cheaper AMlogic Sxx boxes, but they will not have mature Firmware, weak WIFI and not be very well supported after purchase. You basically get what you pay for in the AMlogic / Android marketplace.
MINIX are a Kodi forum Sponsor, and they sell quality gear that works well.

Cross reference this chart with the MINIX NEO series of devices as well: (do not get the NEO Z64)

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/a...-and-s812/

I have a AMlogic S805 with sorted out 23.976/59.94Hz video output Firmware and it runs Kodi Isengard on Android 4.4.2 well.

Have a read of this as well:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161

Smile

(2015-07-03, 01:19)poofyhairguy Wrote: So I will do a full update soon and I would love further suggestions. With that said tonight I deleted the Amazon Fire TV stuff because Amazon is on the list now. Long live Kodi!

(2015-07-01, 13:42)levi.baker88 Wrote: **Idea for first post update**

The HDD spiel was pretty good, in addition to that, maybe a short blurb on bootable USB sticks in comparison to M.2 SSDs or 2.5" SSDs. Speed, longevity, size. useage, pro/cons, etc.

Another very massive deciding factor for me was the type of wireless, I couldn't use anything less than AC 5GHz 867Mbps wireless to stream full blu-ray rips to my NUC.

I would almost make a permanent note that if anyone intended to run Windows (maybe excluding Win 10 that is about to be released) that 4GB RAM is probably mandatory for smooth operation on any of the boxes mentioned.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
I want to build an inexpensive box that will be the recipient of Steam in-home streaming and will run Kodi. This way, the big gaming desktop will be pretty much a small server, and I can move it back to the office and operate it proper.

Normally I'd wait for the Steam Link, but I have no clue of its power so I can't plan anything.

I also want to use filters in movies with MPC-HC for better IQ. Do I need, like, an ultra expensive GPU to do that, or will something inexpensive like a GTX 750 Ti serve me well? Or, if I install Kodi in the receiving machine, is it able to use the power of the host PC to enhance the video, like Steam does with games?

Finally, what are the strengths and weaknesses between Windows and Linux in this case?
Any update to this list to include the new WeTek OpenElec box ?
  • Raspberry Pi 3 - Libreelec 9.0.1
  • Odroid C2 - Libreelec 8.2.5 & Libreelec 9.0.1
(2015-07-10, 14:31)jeffjoker Wrote: Any update to this list to include the new WeTek OpenElec box ?

Seems exactly the same as the original wetek, but cheaper and with better RCU
(2015-07-03, 01:19)poofyhairguy Wrote: So I will do a full update soon and I would love further suggestions. With that said tonight I deleted the Amazon Fire TV stuff because Amazon is on the list now. Long live Kodi!

That's cool! Given the amount of new offerings claiming 4K HEVC hardware decoding it would be interesting to have something about these. It may be too soon though as these are just hitting the market and drivers may not be mature enough...
Hello,

I need your help for picking new hardware for my tv.

Few years now I am using kodi on my laptop, but now i would like some small box just for my tv.
I would only use Kodi, i wouldn't play any games or using programs like netflix or similar types because they are not available in my country.

Currently I have about 20000 episodes and 2000 movies in my Kodi library and I would like to copy that library in my new box.

Now i would like to spent as little as possible because this is going to be only temporarily solution, because I am planning to buy chromebox or nuc in near future.

Mostly i watch 720p and and sometimes fullhd content.

I would like that everything is snappy

I am considering to buy raspberry pi2 or fire tv stick ( i dont now which is faster) but if you have any other recommendation Smile

Thanks in advance for help Smile
(2015-07-13, 16:19)luka289 Wrote: Hello,

I need your help for picking new hardware for my tv.

Few years now I am using kodi on my laptop, but now i would like some small box just for my tv.

I would only use Kodi, i wouldn't play any games or using programs like netflix or similar types because they are not available in my country.

Currently I have about 20000 episodes and 2000 movies in my Kodi library and I would like to copy that library in my new box.

Now i would like to spent as little as possible because this is going to be only temporarily solution, because I am planning to buy chromebox or nuc in near future.

Mostly i watch 720p and and sometimes fullhd content.

I would like that everything is snappy

I am considering to buy raspberry pi2 or fire tv stick ( i dont now which is faster) but if you have any other recommendation Smile

Thanks in advance for help Smile

Got to be a Pi2 if you only need kodi and want cheap. It's a very capable Kodi machine

Sorry for being a complete Noobie, but did you delete Amazon Fire because it is no longer any good or for some other reason?
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26