• 62(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-07-20, 00:48)jmy2469 Wrote: Just have a few questions. My 2015 Sony has Android on it. Looking for something that I can run Kodi on all of my televisions. Android on the new Sony is slow and buggy, was thinking of buying a box so I could run Kodi on thereMy Sony is 4K,I would want something that could do 4K, rest of my televisions are 1080p. What would be the best box to purchase for running Kodi on them? Thanks for the help

Same here. Sony android TV 2015, tried all android player: slow, buggy, low quality video. The only way is to use external kodi box.
I have bought openelec box and finally i have a full kodi smooth experience. Now video quality is great.

About this sony android tv, only the panel (and related video hardware processor) is good, android tv operating system is really bad.

Contact me if you need more info.
I have also been looking for quite a while for a decent successor of my Zotac XBOX. My "only" need: smoothly run 4K video and HD audio over HDMI via Kodi.

When i look at the specs of the Chromebox on http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox, it says; H.265/HEVC is software (CPU) decoded, so playback is limited to 1080p max and low/moderate bit-rates. Seems to me that my 4K content will be down-scaled or am I wrong?
I am also ready to jump to the chromebox ... I have a pi 2 and a ftv and just got a new 4k tv so i need to upgrade so i need to make sure i get something good enough to run the 4k and seen this ASUS CHROMEBOX-M075U for 249 on amazon anyone think i should look at something else let me know
(2015-07-20, 13:07)ReMuZ Wrote: I have also been looking for quite a while for a decent successor of my Zotac XBOX. My "only" need: smoothly run 4K video and HD audio over HDMI via Kodi.

When i look at the specs of the Chromebox on http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox, it says; H.265/HEVC is software (CPU) decoded, so playback is limited to 1080p max and low/moderate bit-rates. Seems to me that my 4K content will be down-scaled or am I wrong?

4K H264 plays back fine with VAAPI acceleration, and the Chromebox will output 2160p at 23.976/24.000/25/29.97/30.00Hz over HDMI.
4K H265 won't as there is no hardware VAAPI acceleration for it, and the CPU doesn't have the power to decode it.
So you think I should just stick to a MINIX x8hplus or a different chromebox I don't wanna kick myself a week from now and have to get something different
How important is 4K HEVC to you, do any of you current devices do Hardware HEVC decoding ?
Because Software decoding will ultimately only get you so far.

If you believe hardware decoding of HEVC is important, then its MINIX.
The AMlogic S812 SoC in that will also output 2160p HEVC at 23.976/24.000/25/29.97/30.00 over HDMI. It has mature Firmware.

MINIX Tech specs here:
http://www.minix.com.hk//downfile/201411...405781.jpg

Detailed info of some Firmware features here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2053438

@sandogo1, take a look at FAQ: what hardware to get for 4K as it may help you in your decision.
I have read so much on the 4k I'm lost ... I have a ftv on one TV I have a pi2 running openelec and its been good to me just wanna get a unit for the 4k TV I just got and wanna make sure I get something people been having good luck with and plus I have never used a chromebox for kodi so just give me a honest choice out of the MINIX and a chromebox and I will go from there...lol
The Chromebox running OpenElec is basically going to be a faster version of what you already have with your RPi2 but you will get proper HD Audio passthrough and the SSD will make it a speedy beast but it will not Hardware decode HEVC at 4K resolution and that is a limitation going forward into the future with the Chromebox.

Put it another way, I don't think there is going to be 4K content in future years that will not make heavy use of this new HEVC codec if only to reduce the file sizes required for distribution of video content. You will need HEVC Hardware decoding.

MINIX out of all the Android devices running Kodi, provide terrific support. These guys know what they are doing. Their Firmware is top notch and you get all the regular bells and whistles for great Kodi operation including 24p, just like on your RPi2. Their devices work well. They also happen to be a Kodi sponsor.

You should also look at a NVIDIA Shield, but that has nowhere near the mature Firmware the MINIX device has YET, it does have really terrific potential going forward into the future (10 bit HEVC + 4K Netflix) and will have great support from the Kodi team.

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

Choices:
a faster RPi2 like device + 4K H264 = Chromebox
4K Hardware HEVC(H265) decoding + mature Firmware = Minix NEO X8-H Plus
10 bit HEVC + immature Firmware, but excellent potential = NVIDIA Shield

The real question is do you need a 4K device right here, right now. How much 4K content do you have ?
If the answer is no and none, then wait for all the bugs to be ironed out of the NVIDIA Shield and the spit and polish to be added like 24p video playback.
I'm sure there will be sales and price drops around Christmas time as well.

Well it looks like I'm getting the MINIX x8h plus... Till xmas
If I got the sheld now is the firmware that much better on the x8 I should wait on the shield also what type of HDD is in the sheild can you upgrade it yourself later if I got the smaller drive now
(2015-07-20, 20:19)wrxtasy Wrote: You should also look at a NVIDIA Shield, but that has nowhere near the mature Firmware the MINIX device has YET, it does have really terrific potential going forward into the future (10 bit HEVC + 4K Netflix) and will have great support from the Kodi team.

Immature FW would be FW that is buggy. There's a difference in missing features and immature FW.

The Shields FW works just fine (not to say there aren't bugs, but everything has some), but is missing features like 23.976 video frame rate and HD audio pass-through and although lacking those features Kodi runs just as well as any other Android device.

(2015-07-20, 21:57)sandogo1 Wrote: If I got the sheld now is the firmware that much better on the x8 I should wait on the shield also what type of HDD is in the sheild can you upgrade it yourself later if I got the smaller drive now

The next FW update for the Shiled is suppose to be a major one and if they keep the same updated schedule as their previous updates it should arrive within the next month.

There is no HDD in the 16GB model, and you can't add one, but you can expand the storage via the microSD. The 500GB model has a hybrid drive and it can't be upgraded/downgraded.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
With the SD there won't be any issues like the pi 2 and if you set it up on your home hetwork is there any reason you would want the 500gb
No, there's no issues using a microSD like with the RPi. The OS doesn't run off the SD.

There's no reason that I found that I would need the 500GB model, but perhaps if you were going to download large amount of apps and games you might need it. But if you were to use a 128GB microSD I think it would be hard to fill that up.

Personally, in my opinion since the HD is a spinning drive it's not worth having given the failure rate of spinning drives. If it had been a SSD or something like a WD Black2 drive (which has a SSD and HDD partition) then I would be more likely to recommend getting one, but that would make the cost much higher.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Is this guide still up to date? I have 2 RPi2 running on my network that I use for Kodi streaming. I am looking to get a third Kodi device for my main tv. I would like this one to have some future proofing built in, so HEVC hardware decoding and 4K capability would be useful. What devices should I be looking into?

The Nvidia Shield looks to be a device that meets these criteria while also having some community support down the line, which is important to me. Is this a go to choice? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26