• 71(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-08-24, 05:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-08-23, 20:14)Wintersdark Wrote:
(2015-08-16, 12:23)noggin Wrote: Though worth pointing out the Netflix will be limited to relatively low-quality 480p on the C1+.
if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
Interesting, I don't suppose you have any modified Android C1+ disk images ready to go ?
This is likely to be my next compilation project so I can get HD Netflix in a dual boot OpenELEC / Android configuration.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1948558 Any use?
(2015-08-24, 05:58)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-08-23, 20:14)Wintersdark Wrote:
(2015-08-16, 12:23)noggin Wrote: Though worth pointing out the Netflix will be limited to relatively low-quality 480p on the C1+.
if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
Interesting, I don't suppose you have any modified Android C1+ disk images ready to go ?
This is likely to be my next compilation project so I can get HD Netflix in a dual boot OpenELEC / Android configuration.

@ Skrell > yes Netflix sucks for remote control use. Thats why we bang on about just getting a cheap Fire TV stick for these paid DRM streaming apps like Netflix. Even with the MINIX X8 you would still be limited to 720x480p Netflix and have to use an Air Mouse. This is a Netflix problem.

OpenELEC / OSMC really is the way to go on cheap ARM devices for Kodi use. Stay away from Android for Kodi use if you can or get a system where you can dual boot OpenELEC / Android.

No, but its not hard.

Edit build.prop, using either the play store build.prop editor or whatever else, and change the values to mimic a supported device.
ro.product.model and ro.product.brand if I remember correctly, I'll get specifics in a day or so. Clear play store data, restart, download Netflix (do this LAST) and you'll get the HD version.

I've had no problems at all with Kodi on Android either, Helix and Isengard have worked smashingly well.
Cheers, yes build.prop editor is the easy way to go.
Use this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...st30054918
If you also bootup the C1+ in 1080p24Hz Mode you will also get perfect 23.976fps Netflix video sync Smile

Now we are pretty off topic and I will take this to the ODROID fourm.

(2015-08-24, 05:58)wrxtasy Wrote: @ Skrell > yes Netflix sucks for remote control use. Thats why we bang on about just getting a cheap Fire TV stick for these paid DRM streaming apps like Netflix. Even with the MINIX X8 you would still be limited to 720x480p Netflix and have to use an Air Mouse. This is a Netflix problem.

OpenELEC / OSMC really is the way to go on cheap ARM devices for Kodi use. Stay away from Android for Kodi use if you can or get a system where you can dual boot OpenELEC / Android.

Which is why I had originally asked about purchasing the Wetek; however, you seemed very insistent that the x6 was the way to go as it offered HEVC which the Wetek does not.
Would you mind posting a bit about your favorite Kodi plugins and how you like to configure it?
I think there has been plenty of info is this thread about the X6 not running OpenELEC: (YET). Maybe you should ask on various forums about getting it running on the X6. It would certainly be doable.

How I can be called insistent about the X6 is laughable, especially when I am probably seen to bang on about the flexibility of the C1+ I have pretty often. The AMlogic S805 and 1080p HEVC decoding will come into its own going forward into the future. Believe me, its going to be a pretty important codec.
Quote:NEO X6 = 1080p HEVC but I have yet to see a version of OpenELEC for it. Kodi Android will run fine tho. 4 core AMlogic S805, newer SoC.
Quote:OpenELEC on the Wetek Play and HardKernel C1+ run well. Its the preferred OS platform if you do not need Android Apps.
My C1+ running OpenELEC is nice and quick plus Hardware decoding of 1080p HEVC works.
I don't think I have seen anyone running OpenELEC on the MINIX NEO X6 yet.
I really cannot tell you what to buy but it is a given fact on this forum, for Kodi use only OpenELEC / OSMC really is the way to go. Every device has its limitations, especially when your spending under $100.

If you have purchased a device that exclusively runs Android, well then thats your decision. The AMlogic S805 is not exactly slow running Kodi.
Really if you want the quickest Kodi only device going around just get a SSD equipped Chromebox, like the very first page of this thread advises, and do your research on its limitations and missing features. (Very few)

As for configuring and plugins, well you will either have to go to the Add-on Subsection of this forum, the Kodi Wiki, or frequent the MINIX forums where they have all the info on Android Apps.

(2015-08-23, 20:14)Wintersdark Wrote: if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
Editing build.prop will not get you Netflix HD. It used to work way back in 2013, not any more. Widevine DRM key of the box is verified at the start of streaming and if the unique hardware identifier check fails, Netflix will not switch to HD stream.
(2015-08-24, 19:15)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-08-23, 20:14)Wintersdark Wrote: if you alter your build.prop to report that your using a Nexus 7, you can get HD.
Editing build.prop will not get you Netflix HD. It used to work way back in 2013, not any more. Widevine DRM key of the box is verified at the start of streaming and if the unique hardware identifier check fails, Netflix will not switch to HD stream.

Iirc wetek is widevine certified.
This post may be of interest on that subject: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2082859
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Hi, are there any updates to new kodi boxes/htpc's since February?
Looks like there hasn't been any new Zbox releases, in fact price went up a little bit since February. I've been using my X220, which suddenly died (Fan Error, cannot boot) so I went back to drawing board for a new HTPC.

Edit: I just ordered HP Pavilion 300-020 at (costed me with my rewards) $179+tax. I hope this will be worth it. It looks like a great deal, considering 200 costs $180+tax right now and 300 has a better processor and larger hard drive.

Is there anyway to turn it on via remote?
Actually Zotac has announced a few new boxes

Here you go http://www.zotac.com/us/z-zone/zbox-win10.html

For example the MN321 and the CI321

For example the MN321 has a intel celeron 2957u and a NVidia GT720 on board. As well as both AC wifi and GB ethernet.

http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/z...tions.html
(2015-08-30, 08:33)Topken Wrote: Actually Zotac has announced a few new boxes

Here you go http://www.zotac.com/us/z-zone/zbox-win10.html

For example the MN321 and the CI321

For example the MN321 has a intel celeron 2957u and a NVidia GT720 on board. As well as both AC wifi and GB ethernet.

http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/z...tions.html

Thank yo so much for the reply, centralcomputers has the CI321 with 2961Y. I didn't see this processor before, And like you said MN321 comes with 2957U.
http://www.centralcomputers.com/p-405675...oduct.aspx

So in terms of performance, I should still be in advantage with 3558U.
2961Y looks like low voltage (while all of these are low voltage, 2961Y is lower voltage 11.5W and only at 1.1Ghz.

Are there any tweaks/configurations in Kodi I should follow in order to get a smooth performance? Things like hardware acceleration or ram management? I'll pick up my HP Pavilion 300-020 tomorrow and if everything looks good, I'll just add an mSata SSD down the line and make that the boot and main drive and keep my data in the HDD, although keeping my video files in external USB 3.0 will not help much with Kodi performance, it should at least help boot up/restart much faster.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/81019,78943,78942,78945

PS: I almost got this, it would have been $100 for me, but it seems like this is the weakest of them all, and being a laptop I don't think it can easily handle being ON and running 24/7 in case I decide to use it as my Blue Iris system. http://www.microcenter.com/product/43819...er_-_Black
Obviously a lot of this was written with American buyers in mind.

Is the Asus Chromebox still a strong contender in the UK at £200 or would I be better off looking at something else?

Can the Chromebox or an alternative output HD audio such as Dolby DTS or Dolby Atmos to my Denon receiver?

Many thanks.
Hi all, can i have a little suggestion from kodi experts ?
My requirements :

- really low powered box to stay always on
- 1080p hdmi output
- gigabit ethernet (reading my media from an unraid nas)
- 23.976 fps and kodi auto switch refresh rate support
- hevc 1080p 8bit (max 10mbit) without bugs support <--- really important, the real reason to switch from my actual box (amd e-350)
- low price
- as bugless as possible (need a really high WAF eheheh) so no always in development platforms like odroid

Not really essential but a good plus:

- optical out
- plex support
- openelec support

not interested in wifi,4k,windows,gaming or 3d/iso/menu support

I can read good things about Nvidia shield and minix boxes

Thanks a lot
If you are only streaming from a NAS and not using the device for transferring media to a NAS then Gigabit Ethernet may not be a requirement. There is very little media that goes over 70-80Mbs which should be a sustained data rate that a 100Mbs network connection can carry. All 1080p Blu-ray content will be playable via 100Mbs for instance.

At the moment - the ODroid C1/C1+ looks to meet pretty much all of your requirements - and it has GigE.

You don't mention HD Audio - which is good because the C1/C1+ doesn't support it via bitstreaming or decoding to multichannel PCM.
But is it stable now ? I fear bugs,alpha and beta version of software etc etc
For example i read that openelec is in beta stage and with bugs, no plex support like rasplex for the Pi2 etc etc
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26