• 76(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-09-24, 21:38)deusbraga Wrote: anyone?
Read the first page of this thread
I know, and I did read it but the devices it recommends are already outdated. I'm looking to buy something reasonably new and with potential. That's why I asked, after I read the initial post
Read the thread about zidoo x6 android box, it looks promising. Would do all you require and costs about £65 or so.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
seems interesting but isn't it still in presale?
(2015-09-24, 23:23)deusbraga Wrote: seems interesting but isn't it still in presale?

I think middle of October for delivery. So a few weeks wait.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
Maybe I'll order it.. Unless there's a similar one with Windows. Now that would be brilliant. Is there anything of the sort?
(2015-09-25, 00:34)deusbraga Wrote: Maybe I'll order it.. Unless there's a similar one with Windows. Now that would be brilliant. Is there anything of the sort?

http://www.pipo-store.com/buy-pipo-tablet.html

Pipo makes some dual boot Windows 10/Android boxes.
And there is the first Newbie mistake. DON'T buy unproven Kodi devices based on promises and fancy tech specs in the hope you will get a device that works properly. The Android section of this forum is chock full of Android carnage from users that went down this route.
I really don't understand why users want to run that sort of risk. It makes no sense whatsoever. The Zidoo gear cannot even do 24p video sync or HD Netflix. Sad

The best YouTube experience will be from a browser running on Intel Hardware. Otherwise a fast capable Android device running apps, and the best cost effective proven SoC for Android / Kodi use is something from AMlogic. The S812 will do the job nicely, or the S802. Even the S805 is fast enough.

The best Kodi experience is had from Kodibuntu / OpenELEC / OSMC. These are lean, mean, quick and slick Kodi distributions that cream all others. The Chromebox is still the most cost effective, very slick Kodi device in this space.

The most cost effective OpenELEC / Android combo is:

a) The RPi2 or C1+ both running OpenELEC, supplemented with a cheap FireTV stick for Android apps such as YouTube, Netflix in HD, paid DRM streaming services etc.

b) The soon to be released AMlogic S812 WeTeK 4K Core. You will get HD paid streaming services, speedy Android apps plus the ability to run Android / OpenELEC easily in a dual boot configuration.
This is from a Hardware and software developer (Kodi sponsor too) that actually knows their stuff and way around Kodi and will provide excellent support to boot. Something that cannot be said of nearly all Android device sellers, especially the ones out of Asia.

The Golden rule here is don't buy unproven Kodi devices from an unfamiliar seller, even if they are cheap and full of promise. Let some other sucker pave the way and be disappointed. Wink

That is why I asked. I know nothing about this topic and I really want to buy something that works flawlessly. Isn't there some box that is trustworthy?? Stick would be OK as well . Please and thank you for keeping me from wasting money.
Works flawlessly, that's a pipe dream in reality. The Chromebox or RPi2 would be the closest for pure Kodi use.
Also look at gear first from the Kodi forum sponsors MINIX, NVIDIA and WeTeK if you want minimal trouble and quick bug fixes with excellent support.

If it were me, buying right now I would wait and see how well the WeTeK 4K Core lives up to it promises. WeTeK also happen to be an OpenELEC sponsor, so you can virtually guarantee the OpenELEC - Firmware / Software side of things will likely be close to spot on.

(2015-09-25, 01:42)wrxtasy Wrote: The soon to be released AMlogic S812 WeTeK 4K Core. You will get HD paid streaming services, speedy Android apps plus the ability to run Android / OpenELEC easily in a dual boot configuration.

You tube, 4K streaming 16mbps , Lossy audio VS Bluray 40Mbps High definition video with lossless HD audio...
Everyone has preferences about the box or quality they looking for, but the WeTeK 4K Core don't fit in the bluray plans for HD audio wetek core 4k thread

The HDaudio thing... looks like a promise to me...
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-09-25, 18:05)couto27 Wrote:
(2015-09-25, 01:42)wrxtasy Wrote: The soon to be released AMlogic S812 WeTeK 4K Core. You will get HD paid streaming services, speedy Android apps plus the ability to run Android / OpenELEC easily in a dual boot configuration.

You tube, 4K streaming 16mbps , Lossy audio VS Bluray 40Mbps High definition video with lossless HD audio...
Everyone has preferences about the box or quality they looking for, but the WeTeK 4K Core don't fit in the bluray plans for HD audio wetek core 4k thread

The HDaudio thing... looks like a promise to me...
Wetek Core does Netflix HD, the ability to use apps like Netflix is probably the only / main reason to use kodi on android. Given that then the wetek core looks a great option.
Lossy 5.1 Audio would be perfectly fine for the users and market Wetek are targeting. You buy Intel Hardware if you want lossless HD Audio passthrough without compromises anyway.

As I understand it with their current Wetek Play, you can have Android running from the inbuilt NAND flash memory and then easily reboot and run OpenELEC from a SD card. This is very desirable. Use Android Apps if you need HD Netflix etc and flip over to OpenELEC for superior Kodi use, all by just using the remote. Flexibility is the Key here, this should not be underestimated.

I'm currently running a triple boot Android / OpenELEC / Ubuntu on a slower AMlogic S805 C1+ and Kodi is nice and quick when running OpenELEC. Its noticeably faster than a RPi2. OpenELEC on a faster still AMlogic S812 / Wetek Core would work very well indeed.

(2015-09-26, 09:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Lossy 5.1 Audio would be perfectly fine for the users and market Wetek are targeting.

Indeed lossy is fine for most users, and i use it for some years until one day......
I bought my first Av receiver capable of Hd audio and tried DTS-HD and TrueHD the diferences was so obvious to lossy that i couldn't go back.
There´s a huge audible differences from DTS-HD Master Audio to DTS core and to DTS from DVD ( 754.5 kbps** )

Bluray
The DTS core can be encoded with a scalable data rate of 768, 960, 1,152, 1,344 or 1,509 kbps, plus a DTS-HD Master Audio extension for higher data rates up to 18.0 Mbps for HD DVD and 24.5 Mbps for Blu-ray Disc.

**DVD titles that offered DTS tracks were encoded at 754.5 kbit/s (about half the rate of 1536kbps). At this reduced rate, DTS no longer retains audio transparency.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-09-26, 08:46)tredman Wrote: Wetek Core does Netflix HD, the ability to use apps like Netflix is probably the only / main reason to use kodi on android. Given that then the wetek core looks a great option.

Putting this way doesn't seem a great option....

Neftlix SuperHD streaming
=============================

Previously, Netflix highest quality video, available to those with ISPs not in the OpenConnect program, was encoded at 3850Kbps.
With SuperHD, video is encoded at 4300Kbps and 5800Kbps and adding the audio bitrate brings SuperHD encodes to about 4.5Mbps and 6.0Mbps.

4300 Kbps = 4.3 Mbps (4.5 Mbps with netflix super HD audio added) -> .2 Mbps audio -> 200 Kbps audio
5800 Kbps = 5.8 Mbps (6.0 Mbps with netflix super HD audio added) -> .2 Mbps audio -> 200 Kbps audio

typical high quality blurays are 28 - 33 Mbps
===============================================

Lone Ranger for example..
Fixed Audio
MPEG-4 AVC Video 26136 Kbps = 26.136 Mbps video
DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 = 5730 kbps = 5.73 Mbps audio
(1.5mb 5.1 audio)

netflix "regular" HD is 3.85 Mbs total including video and audio , so if the lone rager is around 32 Mbps total , regular netflix hd stream of it would be 8.3 times more compressed.

netflix super HD video
- would be 6 times or 4.5 times more compressed than the lone ranger bluray (typically 1/6th the bitrate, depending on whether title was streamed closer to 4.3 Mbs or 5.8 Mbs)

neftlix super HD audio
- would be on more equal terms, 7.5 times more compressed than the lone ranger bluray (.2Mbps 5.1 audio vs 1.5 Mbs 5.1 audio track)
- however, the True HD 7.1 track is lost which is 28.6 times larger than the netflix stream (5.73 Mbps bluray 7.1 DTS-HD audio 28.6 times larger than .2 Mbps audio stream, and 3.8 time larger than the bluray 5.1 track).

Lone ranger typical high quality mkv rip at 1080p ~ 14 GB size
=========================================================================

Overall bitrate: 13.5 Mbps

Video Bitrate 11.8 Mbps video.. is 1.9 times more compressed than the original bluray's 26.136 Mpbs video (cut by almost half)

DTS 5.1 @ 1510 Kbps = 1.5 Mbps audio which is the original 5.1 bitrate, bit depth 24bit 48 Khz however at that same rate, 7.1 bluray DTS-Master audio would be 5 times more compressed, or you would have to make to make the audio track 5 times as large.
Basically you are dropping the master, least compressed 5.73 Mbs DTS-Master 7.1 audio stream.

Conclusion: Netflix HD or any other streaming services are video/audio "fast food"....

• 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26