• 79(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
The DTS-HD arrive in some streaming services and OTT starting with cinemanow in 2014.

Please Note **This DTS-HD below is primarily meant for streaming media and it supports adaptive bitrate playback

Quote:DTS Brings DTS-HD Multi-Channel Surround Sound To OTT On-Demand Services at Best Buy, Dixons and Sainsbury's

Source : prnewswire

Quote:Xbox users can now enjoy Starz content with premium, multi-channel surround sound.
DTS and Starz have announced the addition of DTS-HD support for the network's Starz Play, Encore Play, and Movieplex Play streaming platforms through the Xbox One. This makes Starz the first authenticated online TV Everywhere provider to use DTS-HD audio technology.

source: DTS

CinemaNow has DTS-HD streaming
Quote:Remember, not all movies have the DTS-HD audio track. Look for the DTS-HD logo within the movie details page on your device. If DTS-HD is turned on but not available on a movie, CinemaNow will playback in AAC 2-channel stereo.

Source: cinemanow

M-Go video on demand
Quote:The DTS-HD premium audio encoding solution will be deployed in stages across all M-GO compatible devices throughout the coming months.

source: prnewswire
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Although WeTeK Core (Amlogic S812-H) has a DTS-HD decoder, none of the streaming services listed above will have DTS-HD on WeTeK Core. CinemaNow, M-GO are Samsung exclusive, Starz seems to be exclusive to Xbox (I didn't even know that Starz had DTS-HD audio). On all Android boxes that I have checked, Starz is only stereo.

CinemaNow uses 512Kbps bitrate for DTS-HD!
Is Asus Chromebox still the best choice right now ?
All I need is for it to run Kodi, run movies I share wirelessly at home, and to run mkv files off a usb.
Yes. Depending on the price comparison of the next option.

If you want to future proof things a bit with up to 4K/1080p HEVC hardware decoding you would get a ASRock Beebox N3000/N3150/N3700.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ght=beebox

Ref: Odroid-C1+

I am new to this forum and Kodi, for that matter. I am looking forward to assembling my first box. For the last 3 years, I have been using Logitech Revue systems for my entertainment. These were certainly controversial boxes, but have served me well.

I am sure I will not be a power user. I think my needs are fairly simple and I list below:

1) Stream movies/music from my Synology UPNP server
2) Watch Internet TV, which will hopefully lead to cutting the Cable bill
3) Browse the Internet. (like I am doing now from my Revue)
4) Emulator games
5) Netflix and Amazon video streaming (until I can wean the family off)
6) Not a must, but some sort of free Applications suite (like Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.) in case my kids need a spare computer.

From what I have read, the Odroid-C1+ sounds like a good option for me. My question is, what OS(s) should I install. Given my needs, can I get away with just OpenElec? or should I install Android and the Kodi application? Dual boot or tri-boot is an option, but I am trying to keep the install as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
(2015-10-04, 16:02)treeman Wrote: Ref: Odroid-C1+

I am new to this forum and Kodi, for that matter. I am looking forward to assembling my first box. For the last 3 years, I have been using Logitech Revue systems for my entertainment. These were certainly controversial boxes, but have served me well.

I am sure I will not be a power user. I think my needs are fairly simple and I list below:

1) Stream movies/music from my Synology UPNP server
2) Watch Internet TV, which will hopefully lead to cutting the Cable bill
3) Browse the Internet. (like I am doing now from my Revue)
4) Emulator games
5) Netflix and Amazon video streaming (until I can wean the family off)
6) Not a must, but some sort of free Applications suite (like Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.) in case my kids need a spare computer.

From what I have read, the Odroid-C1+ sounds like a good option for me. My question is, what OS(s) should I install. Given my needs, can I get away with just OpenElec? or should I install Android and the Kodi application? Dual boot or tri-boot is an option, but I am trying to keep the install as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You will only get Netflix and Amazon properly in Android - there are a few workaround for Amazon Prime in OpenElec but they aren't always that reliable.

HOWEVER - very few Android devices will give you 1080p Netflix. The C1/C1+ is limited to 480p I believe, and looks pretty dreadful IMO.

Similarly some Internet TV will only work in browsers - and so won't work in OpenElec. Depends on the TV provider (some DO work fine in OE)

Good solution is often to use a Pi2/C1 with OpenElec AND something like an Amazon Fire TV stick for paid-for streaming services like Netflix or Amazon.
Whoops. It seems there is a thread specific to the Odroid-C1, so I will repost there.
I have my own thread on this but I figured I would post in here too.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=240995

I have been trying to find a new box to buy because as we all know the Apple TV 2 doesn't really work anymore, it just crashes, and lags.

There are so many options out there for boxes but I'm not extremely tech savvy and I've read a lot of bad reviews on some boxes. I've tried to research some of them but there is so much information that its just making my head spin. I've read stuff about bad firmware which I don't even understand what firmware is. I just want to buy a simple box that will work really well on my 4k Smart TV. I want high resolution, high quality and fast, no lagging, no crashing. I don't want to have to program something myself.

My Question:

Which boxes actually work without problems? Which boxes are the best? I just want a box not a computer setup.

List of Boxes:

MXQ
M8
M8S
MyGica
M3
TronSmart
Hyfai
ZoomTak
Asus Chromebox
Pivos
Minix Neo X
Minix X-8H Plus
Amazon Fire Box
Amazon Fire Stick
Matricom G Box Q
Element Ti4
MX3
Diaotec
Onvo
InstaBox Phantom MX4
WeTek 4k Core

Most of these I found on Kijiji or Google
Rule One: - Don't try and do everything on the one device at this stage, there are too many compromises.
The NVIDIA Shield is nearly there once a few remaining issues are sorted out and the Kodi devs write code to support HD Audio passthrough. It also needs better deinterlacing of TV content at this stage as well. The NVIDIA Shield will be the device to rule them all once its nearly bug free. Its the only device currently with HDMI 2.0 that can output 4K at up to 60Hz

Rule Two: - The Most popular cost effective, 1080p - Kodi only devices here on the forums...are still...
The Chromebox and RPi2 that work the best with Kodi and have the greatest ongoing support and are easy to use with say OpenELEC or OSMC. Honourable mentions also go to the AMLogic - MK808bPlus (HEVC), the HardKernel ODROID C1+(HEVC) and the Wetek Play, all running OpenELEC. MINIX NEO - Android gear also, like the X6 (1080p HEVC) X8H-Plus (4K HEVC)

All these devices do 23.976fps(24p) video output with refresh rate switching. Intel Braswell devices like the ASRock Beebox should also rate a mention for their OpenELEC / Linux / 4K HEVC capabilities, plus the Kodi devs. are using this platform for development.

Rule Three: - Closed Firmware devices like the NVIDIA Shield, Fire TV's/Stick, Google Nexus Player and the upcoming Wetek 4K Core are the only ones that play HD paid DRM streaming content from Netflix, Amazon etc. All others play content from these services at a max resolution of 720x480p. Also the devices mentioned provide nicely integrated remote control support to navigate Netflix itself. The Fire TV's/Stick and Google Nexus Player DO NOT do 24p video output with Kodi refresh rate switching however. They also don't deinterlace Live TV very well.

Rule Four: - Nearly all of the Android / clone boxes coming out of Asia should be considered rubbish as there is no Firmware support given after purchase, and important Kodi features like properly synced 23.976/59.94Hz video output and dynamic refresh rate switching is missing. No HD Netflix either.
You would only buy one of these cheap boxes, for Kodi use, to reflash the Firmware and run an unofficial version of OpenELEC on it. Some can however do dual boot Android / OpenELEC if you like a bit of DIY.

And now the Golden Rule, the most important of all. Buy a device that will have ongoing Firmware support direct from a manufacturer that actually knows what they are doing, ones you can TRUST. These come from Intel, Zotac, HP, Google, NVIDIA, MINIX, Wetek, HardKernel and the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I have one of these as my network storage device.

Will the Pi 2 beable to connect to it?

On the pc there is a program to connect to it and and app for my android phone.

Ive been doing research on KODI for a month now and finally settled on the PI 2 as my 1st device but i have a ton of shows and movies on the hard drive and want to beable to connect to it.

Also if i go the Android route is it recommended to sideload kodi or download the app?
What is 'these'?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-10-05, 05:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Rule One: - Don't try and do everything on the one device at this stage, there are too many compromises.
The NVIDIA Shield is nearly there once a few remaining issues are sorted out and the Kodi devs write code to support HD Audio passthrough. It also needs better deinterlacing of TV content at this stage as well. The NVIDIA Shield will be the device to rule them all once its nearly bug free. Its the only device currently with HDMI 2.0 that can output 4K at up to 60Hz

Rule Two: - The Most popular cost effective, 1080p - Kodi only devices here on the forums...are still...
The Chromebox and RPi2 that work the best with Kodi and have the greatest ongoing support and are easy to use with say OpenELEC or OSMC. Honourable mentions also go to the AMLogic - MK808bPlus (HEVC), the HardKernel ODROID C1+(HEVC) and the Wetek Play, all running OpenELEC. MINIX NEO - Android gear also, like the X6 (1080p HEVC) X8H-Plus (4K HEVC)

All these devices do 23.976fps(24p) video output with refresh rate switching. Intel Braswell devices like the ASRock Beebox should also rate a mention for their OpenELEC / Linux / 4K HEVC capabilities, plus the Kodi devs. are using this platform for development.

Rule Three: - Closed Firmware devices like the NVIDIA Shield, Fire TV's/Stick, Google Nexus Player and the upcoming Wetek 4K Core are the only ones that play HD paid DRM streaming content from Netflix, Amazon etc. All others play content from these services at a max resolution of 720x480p. Also the devices mentioned provide nicely integrated remote control support to navigate Netflix itself. The Fire TV's/Stick and Google Nexus Player DO NOT do 24p video output with Kodi refresh rate switching however. They also don't deinterlace Live TV very well.

Rule Four: - Nearly all of the Android / clone boxes coming out of Asia should be considered rubbish as there is no Firmware support given after purchase, and important Kodi features like properly synced 23.976/59.94Hz video output and dynamic refresh rate switching is missing. No HD Netflix either.
You would only buy one of these cheap boxes, for Kodi use, to reflash the Firmware and run an unofficial version of OpenELEC on it. Some can however do dual boot Android / OpenELEC if you like a bit of DIY.

And now the Golden Rule, the most important of all. Buy a device that will have ongoing Firmware support direct from a manufacturer that actually knows what they are doing, ones you can TRUST. These come from Intel, Zotac, HP, Google, NVIDIA, MINIX, Wetek, HardKernel and the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Thank you - as an Nvidia Shield TV user I can fully agree to all of that written above. I did not try all devices in the list up there but if you need Netflix in HD, 24p playback, HD audio passthrough and you are into emulation (playing old Nintendo games) - this box is just a wet dream come true Wink

Honorable mention: Nvidia Shield TV even plays dvds & unprotected blurays just fine if you connect an external optical drive to it (models which support AV mode)
(2015-10-06, 16:05)ciao8167 Wrote: I have one of these Western Digital Cloud as my network storage device.

Will the Pi 2 beable to connect to it?

On the pc there is a program to connect to it and and app for my android phone.

Ive been doing research on KODI for a month now and finally settled on the PI 2 as my 1st device but i have a ton of shows and movies on the hard drive and want to beable to connect to it.

Also if i go the Android route is it recommended to sideload kodi or download the app?

EDIT: Sorry forgot the link
I haven't noticed any interlacing issues on the shield although the last thing I did on the NUC was turn it off because it was causing green flashing on the screen.
Turning on Deinterlacing for Progressive Content is fully idiotic ... Deinterlacing should always set to Auto - never ever to On.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26