Easily Sync Multiple XBMC Machines to 1 Library
Hyram Wrote:No, you haven't misunderstood. I feel that with most rendering duties being shunted off to the GPU (meaning there is CPU clock-cycles to spare by the metric tonne) and the prevalence of gigabit ethernet in the home LAN, any performance hit incurred by reading metadata directly instead of a database would be negligible.

You feel or you know the performance hit would be negligible? I can't imagine why you would think that reading (potentially) thousands of xml files wouldn't be massively slower than queering a single database. Databases are designed for optimum retrieval of large amounts of data.

Here's a scenario; let's say I'm looking at the movie info for Armageddon and in the cast list I click on Bruce Willis to see all the movies I have that he is in. I currently have ~975 movies and it takes XBMC around 1-2 seconds to return the list of movies starring Bruce Willis from the database. Imagine how long it would take to scan the xml files for all 975 movies which are spread out across 8 hard drives most of which are spun down looking for the 12 or so I may have with Bruce Willis in them. Every time you want to browse movies by genre XBMC would have to read every xml file again just to generate the list of genres. And what about data that isn't stored in the xml file? Do you ever use the resume play feature in XBMC? That data is stored only in the database, not in the XML file.

I can't see a scenario where doing away with the database would be a good idea and I bet that it will never happen.
Seeing as though the synchronization feature is a common desire among us here, and the solution on the famous article on Lifehacker seems to not be complete and elude even some of us knowledgeable in SQL, operating systems, XML and networking, I've taken the information on the famous article and created and XBMC wiki page to help us through.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Syn...iple_XBMCs
The original article was written back on September 2010 and some things have changed since then. Now as an XBMC wiki article we can all contribute and fix any errors that may exist. Let's help fix it.

Enjoy,
r
Ray_N Wrote:Seeing as though the synchronization feature is a common desire among us here, and the solution on the famous article on Lifehacker seems to not be complete and elude even some of us knowledgeable in SQL, operating systems, XML and networking, I've taken the information on the famous article and created and XBMC wiki page to help us through.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Syn...iple_XBMCs
The original article was written back on September 2010 and some things have changed since then. Now as an XBMC wiki article we can all contribute and fix any errors that may exist. Let's help fix it.

Enjoy,
r

Sorry but SQL does not do the entire job.Sad SQL only syncs the library information. I do not use the library because all of my downloads have incorrect tag info. I always browse the file structure. I have so much coming in and out, I would need to hire a full time team to fix my tags.

So i am screwed, anything outside of the library (100% of what i watch) goes un-synced. WHY IS THIS NOT A FEATURE YET!!! HELLO EVEN LIFE HACK IN THE 80'S WROTE A WALK THROUGHAngry
Paradoxgrowth Wrote:Sorry but SQL does not do the entire job.Sad SQL only syncs the library information. I do not use the library because all of my downloads have incorrect tag info. I always browse the file structure. I have so much coming in and out, I would need to hire a full time team to fix my tags.

So i am screwed, anything outside of the library (100% of what i watch) goes un-synced. WHY IS THIS NOT A FEATURE YET!!! HELLO EVEN LIFE HACK IN THE 80'S WROTE A WALK THROUGHAngry

HELLO WHAT THE HECK AER YOU TALKING ABOUT MAN ZOMG TACOS BACON

It will still sync your watched ticks in file mode. What else are you trying to sync? Keep your media in one place on your network.

Also, check out a media manager such as Ember to fix your "tags" (do you mean file name?) and stuff.
Well, you better not upgrade to Eden because file mode is gone.
I also don't know how you get everything screwed up. Sickbeard and Couchpotato keep everything straight and XBMC has only scraped 1-2 things wrong for me ever. One was the movie Red (because I have both versions) and the other is usually a UK/US version of a TV show.

Also, someone take a look at my bug report:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12202

Hot off the github compiled an hour ago.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Well, you better not upgrade to Eden because file mode is gone.
I also don't know how you get everything screwed up. Sickbeard and Couchpotato keep everything straight and XBMC has only scraped 1-2 things wrong for me ever. One was the movie Red (because I have both versions) and the other is usually a UK/US version of a TV show.

Also, someone take a look at my bug report:

Not really gone, just merged. It's basically "file view" now instead of there being modes. If one doesn't scrape then it will be identical to file mode in 10.1
darkscout Wrote:Also, someone take a look at my bug report:

I was trying to sort the exact same thing this morning.

Least that explains I'm not the only one now! Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114430
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
darkscout Wrote:Also, someone take a look at my bug report:

Same Problem for me...
I think I found the "original" thread, but it has the header "SQL" and is buried in the Windows section (which is why it never turned up in a search).

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=113437

There are 2 solutions, neither is ideal.
1) Just expand the number of connections XBMC can have. If your MySQL server & Network can handle it.

2) Give xbmc near root access to the MySQL server. Sort of defeats the entire purpose of permissions and the like, not to mention 'root' can only login from 127.0.0.1 on my server.

Some people say that they give it temp access, reboot, let it do its dirty work and then give it normal permissions back. Obviously not seamless or ideal.

I'll probably just use port forwarding

ssh -L 3306:127.0.0.1:3306 server.local

Then change it to root and root password, let it sort things out such.

Could any devs tell us what permissions it needs exactly? I guess I don't have an issue with XBMC creating new tables, just not deleting them or any user admin access either.
Code:
hippojay Wrote:I don't think anyone else has tried it yet, so I had a go:

XonX addon - uses JSON-RPC to talk to XBMC instances (multiple) and pull Movie and TV show library info back. Currently playback is by means of SMB..

So basically, you set up an XBMC instance as the central libary - and play media that it directs you too..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99297

Yo Hippojay,
Does your plug in support syncing outside of the library? I always find files outside of the file stucture.....
Ned Scott Wrote:HELLO WHAT THE HECK AER YOU TALKING ABOUT MAN ZOMG TACOS BACON

It will still sync your watched ticks in file mode. What else are you trying to sync? Keep your media in one place on your network.

Also, check out a media manager such as Ember to fix your "tags" (do you mean file name?) and stuff.

Yes tacos and bacon! no man Its been a while but when i set up SQL it would only sync what was watched in the library. Another thing is I remember it not being the easiest. Why cant' it just sync like plex or just have a easy enough plug in.
darkscout Wrote:There are 2 solutions, neither is ideal.
1) Just expand the number of connections XBMC can have. If your MySQL server & Network can handle it.

2) Give xbmc near root access to the MySQL server. Sort of defeats the entire purpose of permissions and the like, not to mention 'root' can only login from 127.0.0.1 on my server.

I'm going to set the connections to 10,000 to see if a) it crashes or b) ir works.
I'm willing to have another stab at this.
The only reason I am using MySQL is for XBMC and will allow full access.

Any clues to how I go about doing it please?!
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
DejaVu Wrote:I'm going to set the connections to 10,000 to see if a) it crashes or b) ir works.
I'm willing to have another stab at this.
The only reason I am using MySQL is for XBMC and will allow full access.

Any clues to how I go about doing it please?!

Don't use 'xbmc' user and just put in 'root'.
Code:
Well that was easy. Dont specify a Database name and set the user to root access. Library created nicely.

I'm going to give my other users root access too now. Hope they do what they are meant to.
I you MIGHT have to allow root to allow login from non localhost (Default on linux).

MySQL admin tool would be the easiest way\
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easily Sync Multiple XBMC Machines to 1 Library0