Recommended Wireless USB Dongle?
(2012-03-24, 01:37)nooryani84 Wrote: In any case you can reduce the transmit power for the wireless to reduce the overlap, change the channel, use 5 Ghz, move your router etc. There's plenty you can do to enhance even a poor signal. I have probably about 10 networks in my apartment and don't have any buffering issues with wireless N really. 300 Mbps \o/
Reduce transmit power: Nonsense. The problem is other networks, not mine. Also transmit power has nothing to do with overlap. Excess signal power can lead to lower quality signals, but that's usually a problem when the router and wireless device are quite close together or you're running aftermarket router firmware and pumped the transmit power to excessive levels to try to fix your problem.

Change channel: This is nonsense. There are only three non-overlapping 2.4Ghz channels, 1, 6, and 11. If all three are used, you're stuck dealing with interference. Many unsophisticated people choose other channels, like 8, which overlaps with 6 and 11. Some cruddy routers even pick these channels automatically. The only way to fix that is to track then down and ask them to change their channel (or hack their wifi with Reaver and change it for them).

Use 5 Ghz: Yes, 5Ghz helps a great deal, because you can totally avoid overlap and microwaves don't interfere. It does have less range, though. I mentioned all this earlier.

Move your router: Nonsense. It doesn't matter where the router is in my apartment, when one of my neighbors microwaves a burrito my 2.4Ghz signal levels are going to plummet, providing greatly variable performance. Obviously moving the router can help, but it's not a "do this and your problems are solved" kind of thing.

Messages In This Thread
Recommended Wireless USB Dongle? - by luger - 2012-03-21, 21:19
RE: Recommended Wireless USB Dongle? - by rodalpho - 2012-03-27, 00:37
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended Wireless USB Dongle?0