Tell me what you want in a remote and I'll make it happen!
Hello everyone!

My name is Ron and I am co-founder of a new company called AVCgeeks (audio-video-computer). AVCgeeks focuses on offering low cost high quality hardware to the HTPC community. AVCgeeks isn't another 2 man garage operation, but rather is a fully funded company that has secured distribution for many hardware lines. Being a geek myself, my goal was to make it easier and more affordable for everyone to get these kinds of systems into your homes. We will be offering inexpensive components for the DYI geeks including, htpc and server chassis, motherboards, remote solution,NAS devices, and more. We also plan on having pre-configured solutions that will be ready to use out of the box. These will include things like full HTPC's pre-installed with XBMC and openelec, and pre-configured storage servers pre-configured with sickbeard, sabnzb, headphone, couchpotatoe, and more. Another core belief at AVCgeeks, is the importance of giving back to the opensource community. We have all greatly benefited from the various open source projects that are the backbone for a lot of the things we use day to day. AVCgeeks has a commitment to give back to all of the open source projects that we will be supporting whether financially or through sharing our knowledge and implementation expertise with the community. Although only in it early stages, we have begun writing helpfull how-to, reviews, and general feedback on what we experience using open source software.

The main reason for me writing is that, one thing we feel is currently lacking, is a simple remote for XBMC. I understand that there are many options available ( i started with a MCE remote, and currently use a Harmony 1) but I feel that the community as a whole would greatly benefit from a simple remote to recommend to new users. Something clearly labeled to help first time XBMC users find the functions they need. We are reaching out to the community for feedback on what you all would think make the perfect XBMC remote. I understand that in some ways, this is something that will vary from user to user, but I think it would be very help to hear what you all think. So, Tell me what you want in a remote and I'll make it happen!

Please let us know what you think about the following.

1. Functionality- What function do you feel are a "Must Have" to get the most out of a remote. Keep in mind our goal is to keep it simple ( think the roku remote). Although we could have 60 buttons with every keyboard shortcut, it seems like the best approach is to only have what is really needed.

2. Form factore- Slim, chunky , small.... what do you prefer?

3. Cost- Idealy what would you want to pay for a simple XBMC remote? ( our goal is under $20)

Thank you all in advance for your feedback. In the future I'll make another post in regards to what kind of product and components that you would like to see AVCgeeks offer. We really want to get you all involved as much as possible!

Messages In This Thread
Tell me what you want in a remote and I'll make it happen! - by AVCgeeks - 2012-04-18, 17:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tell me what you want in a remote and I'll make it happen!1