I just don't quite understand this application...
(2012-05-05, 15:13)dynamite Wrote: So I downloaded this "complete media center" solution and gave it a test drive on my laptop. I have never been more frustrated by a new application before. Can someone please explain to me why:

1. I do not see a volume control by default? This is a media application, right? Changing volume is a very common action, right? So, who agreed to this idiotic UI design where one of the most used control is missing?
    My first instinct was to use the mouse wheel to change the volume but that did not help. I had to google to realize that "+" and "-" does that. Come on, its not Vim for godsake.
  2. There is no easy/direct way to switch from Full screen to Normal mode while playing videos.
    I had to click that little icon on bottom-right, click my way sequentially through the options! Ever heard of usability testing?
  3. I can't amplify audio for music playback also? The setting is available for video only. And no Equalizer. Doesn't make any sense to me.
  4. I cannot view the list of music files and the playback controls at the same time. I need to sway the mouse to the left for that. That's just ridiculous.
Jazzy interface doesn't maketh a good software.

Uninstalls the application with beautiful interface.

It sounds as if you're missing the point of the program. You're using it on your laptop, to manage/view your media. For that use XBMC makes slightly less sense. I have XBMC on a PC connected to my TV in the living room, the sound goes through the HDMI port to my 5.1 receiver.

Most sound adjustment is done via the Receiver's remote control.

The backslash key seems to toggle full screen in Windows.

In regard to the "Jazzy Interface", there might actually be a skin called Jazzy, or Jazz, but I'm assuming that's not what you're referring to. The interface for XBMC changes quite a bit with different skins. You'll want to experiment until you find the skin that works best for you. Generally speaking however the skins are designed for a user sitting +/- 10 feet away from the screen, and controlling it with a remote control. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, as the $5 PC remote I bought is ergonomically offensive.

I don't think anyone has heard of this "usability testing" idea you've come up with. I'll bet you could make a pretty penny selling the idea to software companies! Maybe you can even name it after yourself, and call it "Dynamite" instead of "Usability testing". Would you like to payroll the "Dynamite" team?
A lot of people (I'm sadly not one of them) devote a considerable amount of their time to make XBMC possible, to the best of my understanding, for free. (I know I didn't pay for XBMC, and it's not ad supported).

You might want to come out of the gate with a different approach.If you were one of those people who contributed to XBMC, would you really pay much heed to some blow-hard who came onto your forum and told you your work (that you shared with the community out of the kindness of your heart) was crap?

In summary, if your question was in earnest, I have done my best to address your points. If your question was just to make yourself feel cooler than the software you didn't understand, than kindly take a long walk off a short pier Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - by joejoeaz - 2012-05-05, 16:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I just don't quite understand this application...0