Linux Which TV server would you recommend?
Hi,

I'm using only Linux at home and recently come to get a server connected to the TV. So I install XBMC on it.
And I get the same question as you "what for the TV management ?"

So that's my experience. We have 3 choices under Linux (no way to install something under Windows, NAS/Media Center+desktop+notebooks are Linux powered) :

tvheadend
VDR
MythTV

I try the 3 and I give you my personnal feedback.

VDR : could not get it working, don't like it coz for me "too much not user friendly" and if I'm easy to play with a terminal, it's not true for my wife, need something more flexible
TVheadend : I like the web interface, very sexy and user friendly. Set up was easy, but not working with my video card (multiple streaming errors) So I go away too
MythTV : please to set it up quickly through the mythtv-setup and directly working with my video card, channels find, EPG too (I'm in France)

So I choose MythTV. And not only because it's working and user friendly (I'm still talking of mythtv itself, not inside XBMC)
MythTV has a web gui, good when you already have a web server (I have it with owncloud on it, transmission-daemon too)
MythTV can have multiple backends if I'm right, letting it manage the different backends
MythTV is well documented (with mythbuntu it's a reference)
MythTV as a scope for unity (the Ubuntu interface)
MythTV is already know to be part of the Ubuntu-TV project (proof for flexibility)

And for the XBMC/MythTV integration this is what I found :
Can be used with PVR add-on (need some work if you use the MythTV 0.25 included in Ubuntu Precise)
Can be used also as a direct video source in browse with the mythtv:// protocol
Can be used with Mythbox video plugin

Again, it's flexible with different way to use it
I don't know all the details about what you ask, but still the most complete choice (for me, personnal thinking)
PVR still not a finish job, but I think the mythtv addon will be filling 100% of what PVR module can do (so what you want and cannot do will be not possible at all, whatever your backend type)

"record this show every time it's on air" -> include in MythTV, and also I remember possible to retry a record later if miss a show with the next schedule in EPG
Record more than one show in parallel -> it's inherent from your hardware and country if I'm right (how many tuner on the card and how they are multiplexing on the signal), but otherwise working with PVR, tvheadend and mythtv for this
Needs to be able to wake up htpc to record and go back to sleep afterwards -> I remember to have see settings for this in MythTV setup, but haven't care of details (my backend is the mediacenter but also a webserver, so online 24h24)

For me, biggest problem is that XBMC Eden and MythTV 0.25 are packaged inside the Ubuntu 12.04, but the 0.25 mythtv protocol is not included in the XBMC of repo, need some patches, whatever you want the PVR, Mythbox or mythth://

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which TV server would you recommend? - by lunarok - 2012-05-11, 15:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which TV server would you recommend?0