Win NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls
Tongue 
Hi
I have an asrock vision 3d hooked upto my Onkyo amp and have always used external hard drives simply plugged into the rock to store my media. The time ive spent organising my movies, photos, tv shows and music with all the artwork etc has been epic so i have complete backups kept in another house !
One of my drives is now making a low dragging scrapping kind of noise, i fear it maybe on its way out. As far as my media is concerned its all safe due to BU, but it does mean another £150 or whatever for a new WD 3TB ext drive ( i have 2 plugged in so 6TB in use and 2 backed up replicas) plus another 2TB and 1.5TB with odds and sods on.
Anyway, before i buy another same 3TB WD or try to RMA it, whats the view on NAS vs Extrenal drives?
Although one day i will probably get round to it, at present i have no need for my media to be in one place to stream all over my house, i guess what i really need to know from experienced users is do you think the drives slotted into a NAS will be more hard wearing and ultimatly last longer or is there no difference?
Oh and also, sometimes if i watch a film, then goto watch a tv show, my TV external HD has gone to sleep and takes 30 seconds or so to wake up, would this still occur with a nas?
I'm expecting any replys i might get to suggest i get a NAS, if that is your opinion could you recommend any, i need 6TB min 8TB would be wonderful
Thanking you all in advance for what this forum brings

Messages In This Thread
NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls - by hammerhead69 - 2012-05-13, 00:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls0