Mark a XBMC as master - enable autodiscovery of shares and content
Hi, ill try to explain a idea i got after setting up the fourth xbmc installation in this house (dont ask how but i somenhow became a house lord for friends)

Backstory:

But anyway, the setup is based around one computer in the livingroom with all the content (tvshows and movies distributed across 3 harddrives) .this machine acts as a full xbmc but also as the central storage.
The other three installations reads the content from the livingroom over sambashares and all four scrape individually (which is not a problem).

BUT

Each time my buddies want to upgrade their XBMC they have to setup and point to each share and select what content they contain (they usually just shout out my name).

Suggestion:

I want to mark 1 XBMC installation (the one in the livingroom) as a master and enable a way for the other three installations to autodiscover shares and type of content(movies/tvshows). This also enables me in the future to add a new harddrive to the main computer and create a share which the other computers automatically pick up.

All computers still scrape individually but will follow blindly what shares the master has tagged for usage in a "Homesharing" like feature

If someone is interested in developing this i can assist with detailed user stories and further examples Smile

Messages In This Thread
Mark a XBMC as master - enable autodiscovery of shares and content - by texaco - 2012-06-12, 22:34
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mark a XBMC as master - enable autodiscovery of shares and content0