Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide
Hello XBMC Community,

After assembling a number of XBMC HTPCs on both Windows and Ubunutu platforms and hours of Googling and searching for answers, I have come to the conclusion that a complete "For Dummies" style guide is needed. This document would attempt to cover all available features and a number of plugins available and how to find/install them. I am considering assembling such a resource. I know a number of small guides already exist but this resource would be much more complete and aimed toward complete novices. More than likely I would target the Ubuntu platform, since user would be able to acquire and install the operating system and all media free of charge.

I am hoping to gather suggestions and input from the community as to what this book/guide should include. What did you struggle with most? What causes you the most headaches? Below is a list of topics I have started compiling from brainstorming sessions. I will be combing the forums and web for more ideas/input over the next two weeks and plan to come up with an outline by then. I welcome any feedback and/or help for this effort.

- What is HTPC, Why XBMC?
- XBMC for Ubuntu
- General Installation and Setup
- Hardware Requirements/Recommendations/Discussion
- Optimizing XBMC Configuration
- Launching XBMC at startup
- MythTV and XBMC
- Creating and Maintaining your Media library
- XBMC and Emulator/ROMS setup (ZSNES, GameBoy emulators, Mupen64)
- Using game controllers/remote controls with XBMC
- Skins: What they are, how to develop your own
- Using and Installing Plugins (complete list)
- Music Addons, Video Addons, Picture Addons, Program Addons, 3rd Party Repositories
- What scrapers are, how to use them
- XBMC controls via Smarthphone/Tablet
- XBMC for Android
- XBMC community and available resources
- Descriptions of Indie Channels/Networks available on XBMC

Messages In This Thread
Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide - by cfsb78 - 2012-07-25, 05:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide0