Downsides to ATV1 + Crystalbuntu + BCM70015?
Ok, so my OG XBOX1 with XBMC is starting to sputter under the weight of some of the x264 mp4 files that have supplanted the old standard Xvid files I would get from the newsgroups every week. Not all the time, but enough that I have been thinking about upgrading. Right now, it's not in my best interest to go full 1080p = 720p projector + slow DSL line = not worth the time and effort for the payoff.
I've been thinking about building my own HTPC for a while, but I couldn't justify the expense for the payoff, when the Xbox handled most of my needs. But it's old and may give up the ghost any day now.

But after searching through a bunch of these threads (thanks for ALL of the tutorials and help threads!), I stumbled upon the ATV1 solution listed above. It looks like it would be able to handle everything the Xbox does now, plus most 1080p content when I upgrade, and even some web browsing/streaming with Ubuntu. And when I decide to upgrade the whole shebang with a 1080p projector/newer AV receiver/custom HTPC, I can move it into the bedroom.

So far, the only downsides I see are - no optical drive (DVD drive in the Xbox has been dead for over a year, so no loss there), loss of wifi (Xbox is plugged into an ethernet switch), and limited remote (admittedly a concern).

Anything else I should be aware of? Personal experiences?

Thanks,
Joe

Messages In This Thread
Downsides to ATV1 + Crystalbuntu + BCM70015? - by Timewalker - 2012-09-24, 04:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Downsides to ATV1 + Crystalbuntu + BCM70015?0