DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available
(2015-03-21, 09:56)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-03-21, 09:44)oldpoem Wrote: It's up to your preference. I wouldn't want anything without Kodi library & feature. I use MadVR with Potplayer on desktop PC & as external player on HTPC . But for me the quality isn't that much different to tweaked DSplayer. So it still doesn't worth the tradeoff to be use as main player without Kodi GUI & feature.

You can't compare weak GPU / more power GPU though especially if it's different chipset vendor.

Also MadVR intregrate lot of post-processing elements. So you can't just use properly configured madvr to compare with other renderer (which doesn't has any much post-processing to do). It will definitely give much better result especially resizing / scaling since other renderer tend to use just only bilinear.

But when you did post-processing such as resizing / scaling by other means and feed desired size to renderer. The differences hugely reduced. And for NNEDI3 image doubling stuff it's quite subjective. It's definitely better in Animation / graphic but for real film it's up to user preference.

My eyes are trained to see minute differences in picture quality after many hours of watching. Anything madVR does creates 16-bit output (this includes RGB conversion, image scaling, debanding, etc.). madshi argues that most of this information can be preserved at 8-bits due to madVR's high-quality dithering. With a low-powered GPU, even the default scaling algorithms produce an image that is more colorful and contains more depth. madVR is also the only program that I know of that uses scaling algorithms such as Jinc and NNEDI3, which are known to be superior to many commercial image scalers. The link below compares madVR rendering to other scalers:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...river.html

If your graphics card is capable, I would suggest using the profile below when scaling anything to 1080p. If scaling to 4K, image doubling with NNEDI3 becomes superior. Image doubling is great, but only useful when the scaling factor is 2x or greater.

Profile: "1080p"
  • Chroma: Jinc3 + AR
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Luma Doubling: Off
  • Artifact Removal - Debanding: Low/Medium
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
Profile: "4K"
  • Chroma: Jinc3 + AR or NNEDI332
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Luma Doubling: 2x or greater - NNEDI3 32 to 128 neurons
  • Luma Quadrupling: 3x or greater - NNEDI3 32 to 128 neurons
  • Artifact Removal - Debanding: Low/Medium
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2

The newest Nvidia driver (347.52) has further improved madVR performance to the point that the picture, at least to me, is as good as it gets with these settings.

It is not all hype; there is science behind why madVR is the best at what it does. The problem with the program is that it pushes the limits of gaming graphics cards when doing things such as image doubling to 3840 x 2160 with NNEDI3. Not enough people own the hardware to use all of its features.

Messages In This Thread
HELP!!! - by takiyon - 2014-12-28, 16:12
RE: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available - by Warner306 - 2015-03-21, 21:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available8