[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2015-09-09, 18:00)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-09-09, 14:07)denywinarto Wrote: My question is, which one give better performance for diskless case like me?
1. Store the artwork in the ubuntu server inside the library (inside the movie and tvshow folders) OR
2. Store them in thumbnails folder in userdata, the diskless program creates cache for each client,
so theoretically this should give less burden to the traffic compared to the first option..
But i'm not sure how artwork fetching works in xbmc.. (and how it will the affect to the performance)

I have roughly 7000 movies and 500 tvshows, i store them alphabetically

Thing is, *you* don't manage the Thumbnails folder - that's Kodi's domain. You store your artwork in your library, or reference it on remote web sites, then you leave it to Kodi to write a copy of that artwork - optimised for the client on which the artwork will be displayed - into the Thumbnails folder. The Thumbnails folder along with Textures13.db is known as the "texture cache".

Given that you are "diskless" and therefore accessing your cached artwork over the LAN, this will almost always be slower than if you had the texture cache on a local disk. Conceivably a really crap SD card or USB disk might be slower than a good wired GigE network connection but generally speaking the LAN will always be slower than average-speed local storage.

(2015-09-09, 14:07)denywinarto Wrote: Lastly, can this script copy the artwork stored in library using filebot to thumbnails folder?

You can use the script to populate the Thumbnails folder (texture cache) from your local/remote artwork - the script will request Kodi to store your local/remote artwork into the texture cache. At no point should anyone other than Kodi be writing directly in to the Thumbnails folder.

Thanks Milhouse, i think local thumbnails will be slightly faster because the diskless program creates different cache for each client..
Unlike the first option where clients have to access single shared thumbnails from the NAS

I got another issue related to Textures13.db,
It seems like my database is messed up and Kodi won't scrape fanarts and posters from the path i already scrap before.. any idea why?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238310
I don't wanna rebuild the database if possible Sad

Messages In This Thread
Crash on Gotham on OS X - by desepticon - 2014-05-29, 17:57
RE: [RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility - by denywinarto - 2015-09-09, 18:57
Cleaning - by AleisterHH - 2018-05-28, 22:03
RE: Cleaning - by Milhouse - 2018-05-28, 22:16
qax genre not updated - by Just-Me_A-User - 2018-06-12, 22:06
RE: qax genre not updated - by Milhouse - 2018-06-12, 23:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17