[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2018-03-22, 03:13)sniferx1 Wrote: @Milhouse 

Want to pick your brain on something. Given I got 4x Kodi devices and all connecting to same media lib via SQL server. Can I scan all via Texture Cache tool to one of the box and then Copy the "Thumbnails" folder and "Textures13.db" to other devices.

This will save huge amount of time and want to check withy  you.

Yes, in theory, particularly if the clients are all the same spec (ie. all Raspberry Pi's, or all PCs). The problem is that the caching process creates thumbnails optimised for the client device - a high powered PC may create higher resolution images than would be ideal on a lower powered ARM device; a Raspberry Pi can't hardware decode progressive JPGs while a PC can in which case caching a progressive thumbnail on a PC and copying the Thumbnails folder (and database!) to a RPi will always result in the RPi software decoding the cached artwork.

So yes, it's possible, but there are caveats.

You may find guides that recommend using path substitution to "share" the Thumbnails folder but this usually fails to share the Textures13.db database, which can lead to odd and hard to reproduce caching/display issues. Sharing the database is not IMHO a good idea, as SQLite databases are not designed for simultaneous access from multiple network clients (that's what a database server is for, and unfortunately Textures13.db cannot be hosted on a MySQL server - there's really no point supporting MySQL as texture caching is an entirely client specific function).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
Crash on Gotham on OS X - by desepticon - 2014-05-29, 17:57
RE: [RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility - by Milhouse - 2018-03-22, 04:34
Cleaning - by AleisterHH - 2018-05-28, 22:03
RE: Cleaning - by Milhouse - 2018-05-28, 22:16
qax genre not updated - by Just-Me_A-User - 2018-06-12, 22:06
RE: qax genre not updated - by Milhouse - 2018-06-12, 23:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17