XBMC solution req'd
Heya Xbmcians,

I've been using XBMC on and off for a while now, but I want to now have it set up as a more permanent media solution but have had a few nagging problems, so I thought I'd throw my questions out to the experts to help me out. I store all my media on a NAS (Synology DS212j) which is wired into my Gb LAN. I'm currently using an oldish HTPC (Asus Nova P20) which connects to my TV & Amp, which is running Ubuntu 12.10 with XBMC 11.0

I know there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, which is why I'm throwing out the questions here... I'm only familiar with the basic, default XBMC setup (ie installed as-is, no add ons or variations).

1. What is the best protocol for XBMC to talk to my NAS box? uPnP v NFS v SMB?
2. I have some very large libraries of music (300Gb+), and the wait between looking through lists (artists, folders, etc) when it displays the notice 'working' is frustrating (using uPnP). How can I speed it up? Is there a different way to index the data to avoid the delay?
3. A housemate also has a windows box and a NAS connected to my LAN. What is the best way to raid his media stash?
4. I regularly drop new albums & movies on my NAS box. How do I modify XBMC so it automatically adds new media without me having to do it manually?
5. I've done no tweaks or modifications to XBMC itself, but I've noticed it to be a bit glitchy and occasionally hangs. The ubuntu install is very recent and the machine was formatted only a few weeks ago. Are there any specific patches or versions that are worth using over others?

Thanks in advance for any responses, and apologies for any newbie-esqe questions!

hatchie

Messages In This Thread
XBMC solution req'd - by hatchie - 2013-03-27, 09:58
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by T800 - 2013-03-27, 10:20
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by Kib - 2013-03-27, 10:28
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by thethirdnut - 2013-03-27, 17:05
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by nickr - 2013-03-27, 21:00
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by bluray - 2013-03-27, 23:21
RE: XBMC solution req'd - by Prof Yaffle - 2013-03-28, 00:30
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC solution req'd0