Release Random Trailers Screensaver / Script - plays random trailers from library
I have largely rewritten Random Trailers Screensaver. It is not ready for alpha testing yet, but it should be within several months. I am very near feature complete, but a lot of testing is required, as well as Python 2/3 compatibility testing. A lot of UI fine tuning is needed. My biggest concern is that I added more features than what most people need as well as too much complexity in setup.

Among the features:
  • Designed to be Python 2/3 friendly, but I have yet to test in a Python 3 environment
  • Gets trailers from the library, TMDB,Apple and local trailers folder.
  • Falls back to TMDB for missing trailers from local database
  • Falls back to TMDB for missing movie details from Apple
  • Supports a local cache for trailers and information downloaded from TMDB
  • Supports Normalization of audio, mostly to help ghastly recordings originating from youtube
  • Adds much more Genre filtering capabilities for local, TMDB and Apple
  • Adds year range and other filtering
  • Has maximum time limit for trailer, to address very long clips or full movies masquerading as trailers
  • Runs as a screensaver as well as a plugin
  • Back-end is a separate long-running service, reducing startup time and high startup cost
Other features, which I am experimenting with, but which may not make the final product include:
  • User ability to add current trailer to a  "playlist" mostly to flag movies that they would like to watch, or note for any reason
  • Some statistics
  • Reports of movies without trailers, actor and  genre lists

Future features under consideration:
  • Restore support for RottonTomatoes
  • Add support for other trailer sites
  • The ability to have trailers play in some theme:
    • Movies similar to recently played movies (actor/genre/age)
    • Play trailers in clusters of similar movies (genres, actors, etc.)
    • This require lots of experimentation
  • Select trailers from a playlist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Random Trailers Screensaver / Script - plays random trailers from library - by fbacher - 2019-05-14, 00:30
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Trailers Screensaver / Script - plays random trailers from library2