OMX ALSA output for RPi
many people, including me, live with hope that some day they will be able to use their USB soundcards with XBMC on their raspberry pi's. that is why i (re)started this initiative.

WARNING for deliveries: this code is at EXPERIMENTAL stage, do not include it in any way in your releases! there are a lot of problems with it!

so, work is based on Bellagio OMX implementation. i made a lot to make it compatible with Broadcom components and to get it working in tunneled mode. doing that i try to keep original hierarchy untouched.

current status:
ALSA component is hardcode attached in place of HDMI render. it uses only 'default' ALSA device and support only 2 channel PCM. NO PASSTHRU!!!
i must clearly state that i will not be able to accomplish this without incredible help from popcornmix. tank you man for your instant support and endless patience!

testing it on my TV via HDMI ( thru ALSA of course ), it works. as i do not have nonstop access to my TV ( wife problem here ), i can't test it in deep, but very basic tests are passed. i expect that there must be some delay between video and audio! however last time i tested it, i seek forward and didn't notice any delay, which surprised me.

what is pending, and for what i need help:
1. test using real (USB) soundcard. as above, i have limited access to TV/receiver for tests.
[FIXED] 2. playback finish takes longer than i expect. will take a look at this at some point later.
3. if i select passthru, it hangs during tunnel establishment at end of or after buffer exchange phase. again, i will take a look later.
[FIXED] 4. delay between video and audio. as i do not talk ALSA language, someone that knows it must help. othervice i am lost here. i tried some shots in the dark, of course failed as i expected.
5. passthru may require help from similar guy, that know how to speak with ALSA.
6. may be many more, but let stop here for now.
for any 'will take a look', any ideas or help are very welcome. for any other or not in list, too.

to build it you must configure WITHOUT --disable-alsa switch! do not ask me for other details on how to build, i expect only knowledged people to try this!
preferably start it from SSH. it will flood stderr with traces. actually they are the only logs from this component at the moment.
if you wish, feel free to use it as base for 'pulse' component. i know that is long time dream for Raspbmc. if you do, do not remember to add it to this companion.
do not ask here how to configure your default alsa device. google will help perfectly on this.

finally, link to code: https://github.com/stupid-boy/xbmc/commits/OMX_ALSA

and not at least: be good boy, "DO NOT KILL THE PIANIST, that is all he can" Angel

Messages In This Thread
OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-09-28, 20:29
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-09-30, 19:41
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-10-02, 14:43
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by dhead - 2013-10-03, 05:33
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-10-03, 10:13
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by dhead - 2013-10-03, 11:49
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-10-05, 20:02
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by FernetMenta - 2013-10-06, 08:40
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-10-06, 10:29
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by stupid-boy - 2013-10-09, 09:58
RE: OMX ALSA output for RPi - by popcornmix - 2013-10-09, 12:24