Video of my ambient lighting setup
So after researching this a bit, it seems that you don't really need a kit. Here's what I've discovered:

You use hyperion software on the Rpi to drive the LEDs directly from the GPIO header. And the kit doesn't include the Rpi.I thought of running hyperion in a VM on my HTPC but figuring out how to then configure the output to go to my arduino is beyond me. If anyone knows how to do this, please chime in.

The strips they sell are WS2801 ones, but one needs to be careful with the connections as these strips don't have the pins in the same position from one vendor to the next.
So if you have these already, you are good to go.

You can use any old HDMI splitter so long as it is HDCP compliant so that at least to your display, the HDCP chain isn't broken.
But what happens when you feed HDCP content to the converter and stick is unclear and the owner of Lightberry has dodged that question when I asked. Given that the output is downsampled, I have hopes that it still works. But who knows?

There are many converters out there and the one they show in their kits seems to be generic and sold under many different brands. This one is different from the kit, but seems to be the best reviewed one on Amazon, as far as I can tell:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CL8...WH8WVAZJNW

The capture stick 'EasyCap' comes in many different flavors and clones and only certain ones are supported in Linux (OpenELEC).
Amazon sells dozens of these EasyCap sticks and which chipset is in it is not specified so ymmv.
I found one of the supported ones on AliExpress and the chipset is specified: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...56010.html

I may try putting this together myself without the kit soon. It would make the ambient lighting so much more useful because I would be able to use it for all my other content sources besides XBMC.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Video of my ambient lighting setup - by KenV99 - 2015-07-14, 16:49
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0