SOLVED: XBMC Spins Up unRAID HDD for Thumbnails
QUICK SOLUTION: Delete your local *.jpg, *.tbn and *.nfo files if using metadata stored with the media and rely on XBMC scrapers. Set up in combination with a proxy/web cache server to solve the problem of multiple downloads and loading speed of thumbs.

Hello,

I have 6 media centres all running Windows 7 + XBMC

I have setup a dedicated MySQL database and SAMBA share (for "Thumbnails") on CentOS 6.4 Minimal.

There are 5 databases: "a", "b", "c", "d" and "e".
Databases: "b", "c", "d" and "e" are exact clones of "a" except they each have there own individual watch status.

- Master (Always on. Partial updates when notified. Full update and clean daily)
- "a"

- Lounge
- "a"
- "b"
- "c"
- "d"
- "e"

- Garage
- "a"
- "b"
- "c"
- "d"
- "e"

- Bedroom 1
- "a"

- Bedroom 2
- "b"

- Bedroom 3
- "c"

- Bedroom 4
- "d"

Note: "e" is just a guest account.

So now you see that i have 15 different "Thumbnail" and "Database" folders you will see why its necessary to share thumbs.

I have setup the Lounge and Garage computers to share "Database" folders between profiles by symbolic link, reducing the "Database" folders to 7. This seems to be working.

You cannot share the "Database" folders between computers as it can only be open by one XBMC at a time. Therefore each computer needs its own "Database" folder.

I have also setup all computers and profiles to symbolic link to "Thumbnails" on the SAMBA share in the hope that i wouldn't have to spin up disks just to get thumbs.

This does not seem to be working 100% and disks are being spun up to load thumbs on different computers, even though they have been previously loaded on another.

Is there anyone else in this situation with a better way of doing it, or a solution.

I plan to keep playing with it, ill post up once i find a solution.

Thank-you.

Messages In This Thread
SOLVED: XBMC Spins Up unRAID HDD for Thumbnails - by N4TH4N - 2014-01-11, 18:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SOLVED: XBMC Spins Up unRAID HDD for Thumbnails0