OS X HOW-TO fix horizontal tearing on Macs with nVidia Graphics
OSX has gotten pretty much unusable with these 2010 mac minis. Apple have pretty much abandoned them. (I mean, for some reason they require you to use Silverlight with Netflix(even with Safari) , Youtube is laggy, HBO is about 15fpsm etc. Just this week my friend who owns one asked me if theres a new mac mini coming soon, he was getting fed up with it but didn't want to spend money anew mac mini that was actually launched in 2014.

Cut to the chase: I told him to save the money, for now at least, and let me install Windows 10 on it. I was surprised how much better this was.

Some drivers you need to manually install:
The broadcom ethernet driver in Windows doesn't work properly, you need to replace with one from bootcamp.
Also need bluetooth driver from boot camp.
And then the nvidia nforce drivers from boot camp.
Oh and the latest geforce 320m drivers from Nvidia, but Windows 10 will do this automatically - except those drivers arent quite the latest ones.

Everything else pretty much works right out of the box. 1080p netflix in html5 in Edge and the Netflix app, Kodi, MPC-HC (had some subtitle glitches but resolved that by installing vobsub and using that to handle subtitles).

You need to install Windows 10 in legacy mode. In UEFI mode the display will just blank after the geforce driver has been installed. Since the 2010 mac minis dont support booting MBR from USB (that first appeared with 2011 minis), that means you need to install from a dvdr (or a usb dvd drive if the internal one doesn't work anymore) Or disk cloning an install done with another machine.

And lastly, you need to bless the legacy partition after you've installed Windows or the Mac will use forever to actually start booting up. You can do this by using the built in recovery console.

Sorry this was really OT...

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW-TO fix horizontal tearing on Macs with nVidia Graphics - by Soli - 2017-12-01, 07:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO fix horizontal tearing on Macs with nVidia Graphics2