ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
Thank's for the feedback. I used the time to look through the previous threads about this topic.

Now I have the following remarks:

@RockerC: Indeed I saw it more like it was suggested by Montellese and UPnP was not my first priority.

First step would be to implement transcoding and test it via the webserver.
I thought about choosing different containers and video/audio codecs and quality attributes such as resolution through different HTTP requests.

Using this kind of API at least mobile phones could stream media properly. And this could be used in many of the existing remote apps to stream media content directly into the app.

Once this works fine one could think about hardware based transcoding and UPnP support. However I guess all of this could be a little overkill for one GSoC project.

@natethomas: I gathered programming skills in C++ at projects at the university and during a six month internship at a company in an embedded software development department where I created a rather big piece of software that helped other devs to debug their applications and devices over the network. I also did a part-time job where I created modules for OpenFOAM. Although these are very widespread topics I always got new insights into C++ and related software and to multiple development platforms such as Eclipse, Visual Studio and Qt Creator on Linux and/or Windows.

Hope this helps to clarify my proposal.

Messages In This Thread
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by mANm - 2015-03-16, 22:37
RE: Proposal - On-the-Fly Transcoding - by mANm - 2015-03-17, 22:45
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-07-04, 18:22
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-01, 23:51
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 10:27
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 11:30
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 14:05
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-10-22, 10:57
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2016-03-03, 11:09
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2016-03-03, 14:36