Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
*EDIT* An updated guide has been created at post # 1213 for users of Kodi Matrix v19 or higher that desire 4k HDR iso menu playback using the Kodi internal VideoPlayer. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3022998
*EDIT* An updated guide has been created at post #205 for users of newer hardware including HDR. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2616287
*EDIT* An updated guide has been created at post #112 for users of newer hardware including 4k. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2429966
Start there and refer back to here when needed.
*EDIT* Added Logitech Harmony setup for controlling KODI and External players simultaneously https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2757730
*EDIT* To avoid any external player setup for HDR playback and simply use KODI VideoPlayer, enable Pixel Shaders in Settings/Player/Videos/Render Method.  Allow Hardware Acceleration remains enabled and Windows HDR switch remains off.  These settings provide HDR to SDR conversion and the quality is decent but not optimal. 

This guide is intended to help users configure 3D MVC Frame Packed (.iso), SDR, and HDR playback launched from Kodi and return to Kodi when finished, automated and enhanced as much as possible at this time.
I have gathered and created this info from many sources, too numerous to name. It is their contributions who also make this possible.
Kodi does not completely support 3D and HDR playback yet so, we rely on 3rd party software and scripts to fill the void.
These instructions should help aid you to adapt to your system dependening on the software and hardware you use.
I am providing examples from my Windows 8.1 with TotalMedia Theatre although I have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro using PowerDVD v.18, DVDFab Media Player v.3 and v.5, MPC-HC/BE with an Nvidia GTX 960 4GB and one 3D panel although a 2nd monitor can also be used with further adjustments.
This is remote control friendly in every way. I use a Harmony 900.
This is completely compatible with Helix, Isengard, Jarvis, Krypton, Leia, and Matrix.  I am presently using KODI Matrix x64 v.19 successfully.
Let's get started:

Download Virtual CloneDrive (VCD) and install http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html Any virtual mounter will work but the code will need modifications to work.
I have assigned drive letter 'A' for the virtual mount but you can assign what you prefer. Navigate to Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disc Management.
On the bottom graph, locate the virtual CD-ROM, right click it, select 'Change drive letter and paths'. Select change. On the right is a radio button that reveals available drive letters. Be certain any external drives are on as Windows will make their letters available if they are off and not present.
Disable VCD in Task Manager/Startup since there is no need for it to appear in the tray nor load at startup.

Nvidia:
Install latest Nvidia drivers including 3D Vision driver. You probably will not need the 3D controller driver.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Open Nvidia Control Panel/Setup Stereoscopic 3D/Run Setup Wizard.
This confirms left/right eye and that your panel auto switches into 3D mode since the wizard enables Stereoscopic in the control panel.
When finished, change resolution to HD 3D 1080p 1920x1080 set at 24Hz and apply.
Now select Ultra HD 1080p 1920x1080 (native) 60Hz and apply.
Uncheck 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D' and save.
*Note* 3DTV Play is not required.
Windows 10 users pay particular attention to post #46 http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229692&page=4

For those using afedchin Kodi build with Nvidia, see post # 96

Intel:
Install Intel Graphics Control Panel, Select 3D and enable if there is an option. As with Nvidia, it is part of your Driver package and accessed via the Windows program menu.
Windows Screen Resolution, Check Enable Stereoscopic 3D Settings for all Supported Displays and save.
Delete "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3DVision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
from #1 .bat file.
Follow the rest of the guide using these edits.

In Windows Screen Resolution, check Enable Stereoscopic 3D for all supported displays for single panel users . If you are running dual monitors of different resolution enable stereoscopic settings for all 3D displays' in windows screen resolution settings. You won't see this setting unless you make your secondary monitor (TV panel for playback) the primary monitor and turn off monitor 1 by selecting 'show desktop on monitor 2 only' since this is the 3D display. This becomes a problem for ease of use though. The fix is win+p and 'select pc screen only'. Next, right click your taskbar and select properties. There should be a setting to show taskbar on all displays or only the main display. You don't want a taskbar on your Kodi display. The setting is at the bottom in the Multiple Displays section. You only set this 1 time so it's set and forget. Once you set select pc screen only, windows will automatically switch between the two and turn off the one not in use, turn it back on when it is. So, you can be using monitor 1 for pc stuff and when you want to watch a movie on your TV panel (monitor 2), when you turn on monitor 2, monitor 1 turns off. This means windows has now auto set monitor 2 as primary and the windows resolution setting 'enable stereoscopic settings for all 3D displays' is present and enabled. When you turn off monitor 2, monitor 1 automatically turns back on. Once this is set up, Uncheck 'Enable Stereoscopic 3D for all Supported Displays, save and exit.

Samsung users:
I highly suggest you enable Samsung Auto Motion Plus in your panel settings (Blur Reduction max and Judder 50% aka Smooth). This is why you purchased a 240Hz model http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popu...N46C750R2F Most panels have this feature using a similar name; Motion Flow, TrueMotion, etc. This enhances clarity greatly in my opinion and is mainly for 2D playback. When enabled with panel in 3D mode though, the set will overscan and aspect ratio is wrong. So it must be set to 'Standard' or 'Off' when rendering 3D. Rather than digging through the panel menu to enable or disable depending on 2D or 3D content, you can automate it with proper hardware. If your AVR has dual output, HDMI out of AVR to one of your panels HDMI inputs and use this source for 2D. Most panel HDMI inputs can be adjusted independent of other inputs so in the panel menu set Auto Motion Plus to 'Smooth' and any other adjustments you desire for 2D playback. HDMI out of your AVR 2nd output and HDMI in to a different HDMI input on your panel. Use this source for 3D and set Auto Motion Plus to Standard or off and tailor any other adjustments for 3D playback. If your AVR does not provide dual output, you could probably attach an HDMI splitter out of the AVR to your panel. I assign a soft button on my remote for the panel 3D source and select it when I playback 3D.

Install your external player of choice. I use PowerDVD 15. I prefer using VCD to mount and avoid PDVD internal iso mounter. Be sure to enable Match Refresh Rate. Select Default Audio/Original Primary Source. This enables Passthrough. Enable Full Screen. Assign alt+f4 to a convenient button on your remote. I use a Harmony 900 and also assign it when exiting an activity (Kodi). You will need this to exit your external player and return to Kodi after playback. If using a mouse, just close the external player. If you have already set up your remote to control Kodi, some of these settings will carry over to external players and are sufficient although they were designed for a mouse. VCD will always dismount once external player is closed. If you fail to render 3D sometimes, pressing pause and then play again should remind PDVD to render 3D.

Optionally, you may want to install SlySoft AnyDVD, DVDFab Passkey, or the likes. There have been rare occasions I opted to use it and it offers more enhancements should you decide to incorporate any of them.

In Windows Audio Properties, be sure to configure your sound with your AVR on and not in standby. It's also a good place to check the supported formats enabling you to select the same in Kodi Audio settings. This ensures Kodi shakes hands with your audio device properly and does not hinder video playback due to conflicting audio settings.

In Explorer/Change Folder Options, 'Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives' checked and uncheck 'Hide Extensions for Known File Types'.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Messages In This Thread
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:19
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39