Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?
Apologies if this is not in the correct forum but since this a support question and I'm using Linux, I couldn't find a better place for it.

I recently got a 4K TV and I'm wondering if I should set the resolution to 2160p or just leave it at 1080p. AFAIK, there are no skins whit 4K resources (yet), but that's not what concerns me (although it would be nice, but I understand it's a lot of hard work). No, my doubt comes from the upscaling work that needs to be done for 1080p video sources to fill the whole TV.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Configure Kodi to display at 2160p: Kodi will do all the upscaling work and the TV will simply display the 2160p signal it receives with no upscaling whatsoever.
  • Configure Kodi to display at 1080p: Kodi will do only upscaling from <1080p video sources and transmit a 1080p signal, the TV will upscale that signal to 2160p.

Per many reviews, my TV (Sony KD-65X850C) has very good upscaling algorithms. But are they better than what Kodi offers? Assuming the points above are correct, in your opinion, what would be the best option? Let Kodi do all the upscaling work or let the TV do it? If my assumptions are wrong, can you please clarify what will happen on each mode and what's the recommended setting for best image quality?

Messages In This Thread
Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)? - by Nazgulled - 2015-10-06, 11:54
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I configure Kodi with 2160p (4K) or 1080p resolution (upscaling)?0