START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-05-11, 21:46)Nellgrove Wrote: I currently have an Nvidia shield. What are my hardware options if I'm looking for the following:

Autoswitch between 1080p and 2160p depending on material played (I want my TV to upscale 1080p)
Auto refresh rate change to 24hz (with GUI at 60)
Bitstream audio including Dolby Atmos
Picture quality is important
Android users really are stuck between a rock and are hard place....

If you want Kodi HDR then the easiest option is Android HDR Hardware using Kodi / SPMC - Mediacodec (Surface) acceleration.
But if you want decent quality upscaling using a 4K Resolution, SPMC & Lancos3-optimised on a nVIDIA Shield then you have to ditch both HDR and deinterlacing.

Read - SPMC 4K & HDR setup

And what happens to all the other 1080p Android Apps that are unable to use Lancos3-optimised upscaling at all ?
I can actually start seeing the attraction of 1080p Android Apps already included in a TV's OS in this use case - 4K TV upscaling scenario.

Manual selection of Android - Mediacodec / Surface & Android Resolution settings becomes a right royal PITA over time if you want optimal picture output on a 4K HDR TV. Especially when you mix in requirements for deinterlacing.

This lack of Android OS - App - Auto Resolution switching and 4K TV use is a problem for fussy video purists.

The bigger a TV gets the easier it is to see poor, soft 720/1080p > 2160p external media player upscaling picture output vs what a 4K TV can do. This is not only on the Shield but also on 4K AMLogic Android platforms & very likely other Android hardware as well.

Even Amazon with their 4K FireTV, that does some Auto App Resolution switching. Recently have stuffed up ultra smooth Kodi video playback with a recent Firmware update.

The solution to all this mess is to move (non HDR) Kodi away from Android completely for 4K TV users and use Windows / Linux / LibreELEC - Kodi platforms that do proper Auto Resolution switching.

Some of the 4K Intel Hardware will give you what you want when using Windows, but proper research has to be done on any of the new Intel "Lake" hardware to get the status of the mess that is DVI > HDMI 2.0 and HD Audio Passthrough when using Linux or LibreELEC. It looks like a minefield to be honest at the moment.

@Nellgrove & @rick19011,

Post #1597 above will give you guys what you want - some of the Hardware is pretty much Plug n Play.

Do Not buy AMLogic S912 Hardware !

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2017) - by wrxtasy - 2017-05-12, 05:11
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28