START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I've been running Kodi on a Minix U1 for years.  It has been perfect with auto resolution and refresh switching on LibreElec.

However I am now contemplating an upgrade.  My non-negotiables are :
  • 4K HDR
  • Auto resolution & refresh switching
  • Automatic colourswitch spacing for SDR, HDR10 and HLG
  • DTS-HD / DD / DD+ passthrough
  • Gigabit Ethernet
I have no need for Netflix, Prime etc as I can view those with other equipment.

I was thinking the NVidia Shield, Vero 4K+ and Minix U9 meet my criteria, although they are a bit more £££ than I would prefer to spend.  If possible I'd like to come under £60 - but if I need to spend the rest, I will.  Quality comes before cost for me.

Looking through Amazon, I see the Beelink GT1 Ultimate also seems to fit the criteria (although also S912 based).
And the oft-recommended Tanix TX9 Pro which comes in at a little less cash.

The Shield seems to have some issues with Colourspace switching.  I'm not sure if there is a CoreElec / LibreElec version for it and if that sorts out the problems.

The Vero 4K+ runs OSMC.  I'm not sure if OSMC is an OS & Media playback (like LibreElec / CoreElec).  Can it run normal Kodi with Transparency skin?

I've had great performance from my Minix U1s (ethernet & wifi), so although the U9 is S912, I am quite tempted by it.

Main thing is seamless usage once set up, and the ability to handle 4K well now that I am in the process of upgrading media to that format.
Am I missing any units that could meet my requirements well?  Would some of the cheaper S912s do it?

I am aware that S912 support is not guaranteed moving forward, which is a bit of a downer if I go that route, but it seems like the S912 is the best option for me right now.

Any suggestions / advice from wise forum dwellers?
Cheers,
Xpr

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018) - by xpr982539 - 2018-12-21, 14:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28