menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour
(2016-04-05, 14:17)stoolzo Wrote: i have an LG oled tv and its taken me a long time to get a picture I like but also to get the colour space setup correctly. What i am finding though is that when I start KODI the menu is washed out even though my desktop settings are set correctly. My black clipping is correct both playing and on youtube so there is a problem with KODI in that its showing the menu at the incorrect colour space.

Here is my setup.

pixel full RGB 4:4:4
ati card colour range 0-255
Kodi colour range correctly set a t 16-235

If I set KODI to 0-255 the movies are too dark and it destroys my black clipping, even if I bring the brightness up to compensate it added noise to the image as it obviously doing an extra colour space conversion it should not be doing.

Is there a hack where we can get the menu to darken so it not washed out, ideally we should have a colour space for both the menu and output.

Why would you need separate options? Unless you want to be switching color ranges on your TV going between UI and content, the only correct behavior is for Kodi to render its UI in 16-235 when its Limited Range option is selected, which is in fact what I observe it to do.

Which version of Kodi? It has all worked fine in Kodi versions prior to 16 with my Nvidia cards, though there is a new bug in Jarvis I documented here that affects playback when DXVA2 is enabled:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261421

I don't know if the DXVA2 setting affects the UI, and it's not quite the same problem you're describing, but it is a levels problem, so I thought I'd mention it. I don't recall seeing any problem in the UI in the brief time I spent on Jarvis, but that was a few weeks ago.

ETA: If you set Kodi to 0-255, you shouldn't increase Brightness on your TV to compensate. You should change the TV's color space to 0-255.

Messages In This Thread
RE: menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour - by crawfish - 2016-04-06, 02:47
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
menu washed out, 0-255 / 16-235 colour0