Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
(2016-08-08, 17:13)DJBenson Wrote: Thanks for the guide, I've followed it and have everything working but on the occasions that Kodi crashes, how does one automatically restart Kodi?

From what I can gather, Kodi is running within LightDM/Openbox so the only way to get Kodi back up is to restart LightDM - but that's beyond the capabilities of my wife if I'm not at home.

When I used a systemd service for Kodi, it would automatically restart on crash, but now I've moved to the LightDM/Openbox method of launching Kodi, I have no idea how to automatically respawn Kodi (or relaunch LightDM) if/when Kodi crashes.

For me when Kodi crashes it just takes me back to the login screen, and if I log back in with the kodi user (no password, so I just hit Enter on my keyboard) it launches back into a Kodi/Openbox session (since that was the last used session)

I decided to use ppa:team-xbmc/unstable for the Kodi install, so I can say this works pretty reliably after every crash lol

Oh yeah, I forgot I had to delete the password on the Kodi user manually before it would let me log back in

Code:
sudo passwd [USER] -d

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation - by defaultdotxbe - 2016-08-08, 17:52
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4