What is wrong with the TVtunes addon?
This was answered multiple times already, but I'll answer once more.

There was a whole lot going on with rob and none of that initially had to do with tvtunes per se.
But during the course of this we found out that the tvtunes add-on violated two strict rules we have about add-ons, not doing direct analytics of users and not doing anything illegal.

- The add-on tracks users (code link) (not reverted)
- The add-on allows users to share copyrighted material to an (obfuscated) address of a bittorrent ftp server.(code link) (not reverted)

That add-ons sometimes access snippets of copyrighted material from a website that hosts them under the fair use law is one thing.
That an add-on enables users to circumvent copyright by uploading material is a very different thing.
That this code was intentionally obfuscated can probably be interpreted in different ways but at that point I don't think anyone on the team wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Other things that I believe contributed:

- Not wanting to fix the fact that an add-on overwrote user keymaps.
- Not wanting to fix the including of an existing module in his repo.
- Rewriting history on his add-ons, this effectively removes previous authors from GPL code. (one example, same for all other repos) (not reverted)
- Removing GPL as a license from his code and replacing with a commercial license (here) (reverted)
- Removing the (MIT/GPL) licenses from code written by others, rewriting the author and replacing with a commercial license (not reverted)

I'm just answering your question and have no intention (like you) to start this discussion again.
If this thread turns into anyother discussion thread, I'll close it - there is already a thread for that.

edit: adding links to code
edit: changed bittorrent into FTP, because I got told it was that. I understood it was bittorrent earlier but for the reasoning it really does not matter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is wrong with the TVtunes addon? - by Kib - 2016-10-23, 12:43
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is wrong with the TVtunes addon?0