Android Software support for video playback on Allwinner stick
I recently bought the Tronsmart Draco H3 TV stick (before I was aware of the reputation of Allwinner in this community Sad ), and I was vaguely aware that video playback might be a problem.

It came installed with that POC vidon XBMC, and multiple reasons, including the fact that I want to have a mysql db, I uninstalled that and installed Kodi proper from the app store. It works pretty well most of the time, but there are a few occasions when the video doesnt play (just the audio plays). I have a few questions about this. Hopefully a few of you resisted the impulse to ignore after reading Allwinner Tongue

1) Is Kodi playing all of the videos via software emulation/decoding? Or is there some amount of hardware decoding support present? I usually play sub 1080p video so I dont notice any impact in performance.

2) Is it possible to install software codecs or similar for a few of the formats which dont seem to work? One particular format is FLV (downloaded flash videos) Or is this a bug on Kodi? Or a format that was intentionally ignored?

3) One solution in such situations is using MXPlayer as an external player. I tried this once unsuccessfully, it is on my TODO list to try again, but I am curious, how does this work? If the APIs arent present, how is MXPlayer able to support hardware decoding? Did they have a special arrangement? Or reverse engineered? I realized this isnt the MXPlayer forum, I am just asking here in case someone knows.

4) Curious thing is that from before this stick, I have a Mele M9 TV box (which as luck would have it is also Allwinner). However this box seems to work well with atleast the FLV format and I have yet to find a format which doesnt work on it. Any idea why the behaviour is different?

Thanks for your time and patience if you got till here Smile

Messages In This Thread
Software support for video playback on Allwinner stick - by ktaragorn - 2017-01-09, 09:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Software support for video playback on Allwinner stick1