Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)
Apologies, if this is the wrong place to post... I bought a NUC7i3BNK last year and love it! To date it's been plugged into the family TV, but I've found that while this set up has been good for streaming movies and catch up TV, it's been less than ideal for office work. So I'm buying a 27" monitor and setting up in my bedroom/ office. It's running Windows 10, 64 bit, 8Gb RAM (2x4Gb DDR4) and Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD.

Regarding a suitable 27" monitor, would someone kindly help me with answers to the following questions, please? (As well as Netflix and TV, the I need the set up to run MS Office, Outlook and Gmail, as well as do online research. I don't do any gaming or professional photo editing/ graphics.)  

1. Is my NUC's built in graphics powerful enough to run a 2k QHD 2560x1440 monitor? I'm keen to buy a Dell U1715H based on many good reviews I've read.

2. If not, what 27" HD 1080p monitor would others recommend for my needs? (I decided on a 27" because I want to be able to have two programs open side by side by side - a single 24" is too cramped for this and my desk can't accommodate a 2x 24" set up. 32" is too big. I bought a Phillips 31.5" HD monitor yesterday, but I'll be sending it back because I have to lean back in my chair and type with my arms outstretched to get far enough away from it to make viewing comfortable. I'm hoping that 27" will be the sweet spot for my situation.)   

3. Is a 2K QHD, such as the Dell U2715H, overkill for my needs of MS Office, Gmail/Outlook, net research/ surfing, and TV/ Movie streaming? Would a cheaper 27" HD monitor suffice? What are others using and enjoying? The Dell U2715H is $600 here in Australia, so anything cheaper would be a saving. By the way, the text on the Phillips 31.5" HD currently plugged in is surprisingly clear and sharp.

4. If my NUC's graphics is powerful enough to run the Dell 2K QHD monitor, which kind of cable would be best to connect them - HDMI 2.0 or USB - Type C to DP? I would appreciate an explanation of the pros and cons of each; a link to an explanation would be equally appreciated.

Monitor: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/produ...redirect=1
NUC: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/suppor...odSpec.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU) - by bvhara - 2018-01-26, 07:43
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)1