GSoC'17 Proposal :- Adding Python 3 support
Hi,

Introduction:
My name is Roht kumar and I am an undergraduate student in Computer Science program(2nd year) at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar, India.I am very much interested to work on "Add Python3 Support" and “Web Browser in Kodi” projects. I joined this open source adventure from january of this year itself, it is fun as well as I am learning new things everyday. My github at https://github.com/rohit-rk. I am comfortable working with C, C++, Python, Mysql, Mongodb, Oracle 10g(Working on it as part of curriculum), prefer to work on both Linux and windows. I am very good at understanding others code, which i think makes me a good candidate.

As I mentioned two projects, but I am specifically interested in working on adding Python 3 support. The reason is strange, but makes me feel confident. When i started with python, I was confused like which version to choose. I did lot of research then came up to a point of learning both. So first i, started with python 3.5 and then python 2.7. Working on version 3 was cooler and easier. Just to mention, Python 3 removing support of u'' strings is great help as it is headache to me(personal views). I came to know that many major packages have been ported to python3 like: NumPy, SciPy, Django, Flask, PIL to Pillow, ,py2exe ,etc. Still, many prefer to use Python2. With Python 3 being the future of Python while Python 2 in active use, I think having support for both would be a good idea.
Even the python communites support for both. There is this six compatibility package, a key utility for supporting Python 2 and Python 3 in a single code for small projects. But working for an organization and a huge code base will be a difficult, interesting task to tackle as well as i’ll get to learn a lot on the way, which i like the most.

Query:
I am writing to discuss the details and ask for advice on this. Could you please let me know more info about this project and repositories as i am new to KODI ?. Specifically, what are the requirements? Also, could you please let me know how I should start to get involved and contribute?

I am aware of the fact that it is a little bit too late to discuss this but I just learned that KODI is selected for Google Summer of Code and found a perfect project for my skillset. Well, this is about getting involved and contributing kind’a query, will send proposal soon.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Rohit

Messages In This Thread
GSoC'17 Proposal :- Adding Python 3 support - by rohit-rk - 2017-03-14, 18:07
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSoC'17 Proposal :- Adding Python 3 support2