Black or White
Since the post was closed and the important part of the discussion was as always forget. I'll finish it here. (Sorry for using sinuous way to have you write all that was needed).
Please take time to fully read the post before jumping to conclusions just because of my name.

The whole point is not against Nate it's about things not being black and white, and that things that some think are fact may in the end not be fact at all. And that should stop being presented as facts.

It's all about opinions and point of views and this discussion is very important because there's wrong information distributed those days.

1) Black and White.

Nate said :
Quote:Is there some article out there that is misinforming people about what piracy is? This is at least the second time I've read this remarkably wrong conclusion in the past few days. If there is, here are the simple facts.

Piracy is generally defined as the sharing, copying, or performing of copyrighted content from one person to another person via the internet by people who do not have the legal authority to do so. In most cases, this is illegal, though not in all, as there are several exceptions or situations in which modern law hasn't yet caught up.

That can be resume as Piracy is XXXX, this is a fact, I'll spread the good word.

This is cool Nate is a white knight and trying to do the good.

Then we read GNU web site that says:
Quote:Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances.

They cleary says that the fact that was presented earlier is not a fact, it's propaganda. (Despite what was saying they take a stance, I only had access to French version and could not check the English one).

This now changes the situation a lot.

Nate is no more a white knight spreading the good word, it's a black knight spreading propaganda.

Meaning that with just one more information, something that was good, is now bad.

The question now would be is Nate white knight and good? or is Nate black knight and bad?
Or maybe as I try to explain since I jumped in the other thread, it's a lot more complicated and Nate is just Nate and not white, not black.

This is purely rhetorical and should of course not be discussed here Smile We all know Nate does try to do the good, he just as everyone can be wrong sometimes.

2) All addons in Kodi repo are legal.

Now the most important part is about all the communication that I see about the fact that all the addons in Kodi repo are pefectly safe and legal.
This is what have forced me to get into that discussion, because I think (and with correct information I'm sure more will agree) that this is an important discussion.

For example from Kodi twitter account.
Quote:Our Kodi repository only contains completely legal add-ons. In addition they are code checked for vulnerabilities.
http://kodi.tv/addons

Or

Quote:For YouTube the official API is used.

Again those sentences are presented as pure facts by people that represent authority here. But the reality is that they are not facts, they are point of views.

Youtube addons, Twitch addons does use the API to get listing of the media so what is presented as a fact is partly true.
But then the addons use hacking techniques to get access to the actual video feed and play it outside of the website term of services. And this change the simple presented facts, to something a lot different.

This means that those plugins makes users that use them violate the contract that they have with Google / Twitch and commit fraud.

Again quoting Nate
Quote:Breaking encryption violates laws related to the DMCA (in the US, at least), but does not fulfill the elements of copyright violation. Breaking the terms of service of a website isn't actually breaking the law at all, but rather violates a contract, which is typically not illegal. Impersonating someone else is fraud, though I'm not sure it counts since it's one piece of software tricking another piece of software, but that's the closest comparison.

Breaking a contract is illegal, when I rent a flat I make a contract, if I do not pay I violate the contract, this is illegal in many countries. Whatever your fellings are (Different from facts).
Building a Ponzi scheme is committing fraud, it's illegal too. After all it's just a matter of making things believing other things.

For Nate piracy is illegal access to something that you have no permission to and it's bad, but violating a contract and committing fraud to access something in way you should not is not piracy as it could be access on the website and since it's not piracy it's not wrong.
This is perfectly fine to think like that, and I think like that mostly, but this is personal feelings and opinions, this is not facts at all.

This is all but safe and legal in nearly all country.
Yet users will believe what is said by what they take as authority here.

So to resume as I'm not English native and some love to play with words and not really read what I write as soon as there's my name.

1) I have nothing against Nate he had just posted the perfect example of something that all believe is white being in fact pure black some some others (And others being a well known and respected organization). Changing a simple thing to a complex thing.
2) There's way too much communication about addons being in the Kodi repo, being perfectly safe and legal, and this is just false and misinforming. Users using a large part of those addons are violating contracts and committing frauds without even knowing because of this communication.

I'm sure more will come to talk about different levels of hacking, of good versus bad illegal access. In the end it does not matter, the addons are not perfectly white unlike what is said.

And all users using the Youtube addon https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms risk their account. Those are facts not feelings or point of view.
The addons breaks §5.1 C of the TOS. With the possible consequences §11.3 A. Simple fact and rules.

Messages In This Thread
Black or White - by Tolriq - 2017-06-15, 10:12
RE: Black or White - by natethomas - 2017-06-15, 16:26
RE: Black or White - by Tolriq - 2017-06-15, 16:57
RE: Black or White - by DJ_Izumi - 2017-06-15, 17:25
RE: Black or White - by PatK - 2017-06-15, 17:49
RE: Black or White - by Fail$tyle420 - 2017-06-15, 18:00
RE: Black or White - by Tolriq - 2017-06-15, 18:11
RE: Black or White - by DarkHelmet - 2017-06-15, 19:21
RE: Black or White - by Tolriq - 2017-06-15, 19:50
RE: Black or White - by DarkHelmet - 2017-06-15, 20:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help