Music Tags Being Ignored?
Kodi 17.3, Windows 10 x64

Kodi seems to have changed which audio tag that it uses for the Artist information when the listing is in Artist view. This has caused a pretty big problem for me.

All of my music is tagged properly, and I choose to make Artist and Album Artist the same. I did this to address a problem when an artist plays with different groups. It's particularly a problem with jazz albums.

For example, I want all Art Blakey albums to show as a single artist when the list is by artist. But I get Art Blakey, Art Blakey Quintet, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, etc. as different artists. All of the songs in all of the Art Blakey albums have Artist and Album Artist tags as Art Blakey. I've tried different skins with the same results. This worked fine under previous versions of KODI.

I assumed the scraper is taking precedence, but I believe I have the settings correctly configured. "Enable tag reading" is enabled, and "Prefer online information" is disabled.

If I examine the track with Media Info, it lists Album/Performer as Art Blakey/Art Blakey. However, a few lines further down is an entry for Performer and its value is Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. My tagging program does not show this field (and it shows a ton of possible tag fields). However, there's a category called Orig Artist. I added that but it made no difference.

When I examine the Details properties with another app (XYplorer), it shows a field called "Contributing artists", and this also reads as Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Thankfully, XYplorer also lets me edit this field and it fixed the problem. But that creates a huge problem. I have a large music library, as I'm sure many of you do. What this means is I have to go through EVERY album and edit this tag for every track, with an app that is clumsy because it was not designed for the purpose.

Does anyone know when and why KODI's behavior changed, and what the benefit was supposed to be? Is there a way to change it?

Messages In This Thread
Music Tags Being Ignored? - by hurricane51 - 2017-08-20, 07:38
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by Karellen - 2017-08-20, 07:39
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by DaveBlake - 2017-08-20, 16:09
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by DaveBlake - 2017-08-21, 13:59
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by scott967 - 2017-08-21, 23:24
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by DaveBlake - 2017-08-22, 08:46
RE: Music Tags Being Ignored? - by DaveBlake - 2017-08-24, 09:21
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Tags Being Ignored?0