4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
so im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i just wanted to add my experience with 4k hdr in kodi jarvis.

so basically i have a windows 10 machine with a nvidia 1070, i have my computer connected to a yamaha tsr 7850 via high speed hdmi cable which outputs to a sony 65x930c

So when i turn on hdr under the display settings the tv wll auto switch to hdr mode, and will not allow me to change the video settings from hdr mode (which is normal when playing hdr content) when i turn off hdr in display settings the tv will auto switch back to cinema home (previous display mode)

if I have hdr turned on when i start up kodi full screen, the computer switches back to non hdr mode, i know this becuase the tv auto switches to whatever video mode i was using before switching to hdr (cinema home) however i can manually change the display mode to hdr mode.

when playing back hdr content i have to manually change the video mode on my tv to hdr mode and make sure my color setting is set to bt2020 in the tv settings, the tv actually lets you set which color space you want to be in. (theres auto, srgb/bt709, dci, bt2020 

manually setting the tv to hdr and manually setting bt202 looks exactly the same as playing the same content through infuse on the apple tv4k, which autoswitches into hdr mode on my tv (doesnt let me switch out of hdr mode) and if i leave the color space in auto it will choose the correct color space when playing back hdr (bt2020) and non hdr (bt709) content 

it seems that i get the same results even i dont turn on hdr mode in windows, at least when using kodi. I beleive this is because once i go full screen in kodi, windows detects the program doest use hdr and just turns off hdr mode in display settings. 
If i leave kodi on "use fullscreen window" and i turn on hdrmode in windows display setting, my tv stays in forced hdr mode, and all hdr videos in kodi dont look correct, colors are washed out and black levels are gone.

i do all this whenever i want to watch a movie with an atmos track as i have atmos speakers.

first my computer is set to hdr mode in display settings. usually just leave this on as i sometimes play hdr games
then i turn on kodi
manually switch to hdr mode in tv picture settings
make sure that bt2020 is selected as color space in color section of picture settings
at this point the kodi interface looks super saturated (im assuming becuase the interface is actually graded for srgb/bt709)
once i play a movie everything looks great and i get atmos audio

if i dont want to do all that i just play through enfuse on the apple tv 4k which auto switches hdr mode on my tv and auto selects the correct color space, i just have to deal with no tru atmos sound. i can set the receiver to nueral x but its not the same, not by a long shot. Ive done a ton of testing switching back and forth.

Also in case you were wondering about atmos on the appletv4k i tested gaurdians of the galaxy 2 and compared the netflix atmos track to the tru 4k atmos track and aside from the true bluray track sounding louder (at -20) on my receiver, the detail was basically the same i just had to add about 6 decibels when playing on netflix to get the same volume. so streaming atmos isnt bad at all, at least on that movie.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by freelancerx8 - 2019-01-19, 07:15
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209