4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2019-08-29, 14:05)bizuka Wrote: @wrxtasy in terms of picture quality, from a 905x to a 922x is there a big difference on 1080p/2160p? (i know that the 905x at the moment doesn't passthrough max cll/fall.
and between the 922x vs the Apple 4k running mrmc?
did you test already the khadasvim3? what are your thoughts?
ps: please dont bring to the equation the upscaling. just a native resolution picture quality appreciation since you work with all of these boxes!
Best Regards to you all!
Hi,

Not a BIG difference but some things are noticeable if you are looking for them.

Apple TV 4K = great, clean, picture quality from it's Imagination Tech PowerVR GPU - inc. Atmos & DV for Netflix, iTunes, likely Vudu & upcoming Apple TV+ service.
MrMC = CPU deinterlacing using full motion YADIF 2X.
mpeg2 SD TV can have some Kodi post processing added to it to clean up the picture output slightly.
Does not output Max CLL/FALL HDR Infoframe Metadata when using MrMC App.

S905X = basic PQ quality AML Image engine.
Hardware Deinterlacing is = to the Apple TV 4K.
No HDR Infoframe Metadata output, and generally 100Mbps Ethernet only.
Picture output in general looks a bit "noisier" vs the other two.

S922X = 9th Generation Advanced AMLogic TruLife Image Engine (click)
Excellent output picture quality.
I do notice, vs the above ->> better Anti-alising / de-jagging, slightly better quality hardware deinterlacing and overall a bit cleaner picture output - which I suspect is due to the AML's Noise reduction filters.
The ATV 4K and S922X picture output quality are very close.
The S922X's - ARM Mali G-52 GPU is excellent. Smooth and snappy.
Outputs correct Max CLL/FALL HDR Infoframe Metadata.

In general for SD quality content, there are easy Linux user adjustable HW/SW decode switches in Kodi Leia settings - and you can then apply - CPU Lanczsos3-optimised upscaling that sharpens CPU SW decoded SD picture outputs noticeable. Works fine on the fast S9xx devices running CE Kodi.

Ultimately auto Resolution switching, that outputs video content at it's native resolution will enable high quality 4K TV's to produce the best picture quality. Set and forget.

VIM3 vs ODROID N2 = slightly faster CPU clocking avail. (2.2GHz vs 2.0GHz).
Has some neural AI co-processing features that I doubt will ever be used in a media player.
Has included BT, AC WiFi & eMMC storage.
Personally WiFi is useless for a 4K high bitrate media player. BT USB dongles are dirt cheap anyway.
Has a poorer quality heatsink, that involves further DIY & is more expensive vs N2, plus does not have the N2's excellent inbuilt DAC.

VIM3 sure looks a bit funkier in it's edgy red/black case tho ! Wink

Honestly, I'm a bit tired of having to fit heatsinks & fans and worry about thermal issues with ARM based chipsets.
The ODROID guys with the excellent, already sorted out N2 passive heatsink solution have nailed it IMHO. Smile

W.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by wrxtasy - 2019-08-30, 06:02
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209