New AMD 2200G/E and 200G/E (or 2400G/E) APU's reasonable for an all-capable HTPC?
Question 
Hello!

I've also posted this on the AVS forum, but for better general recognition and to gain a wider attention -to collect as many experiences as possible- I would like to also post these in here.

So lately AMD came out with the 2200GE APU with Vega 8 IGP and with the 200GE APU with Vega 3 IGP. Both has 35W TDP and native support for HDMI 2.0a. That means UHD/HEVC/HDR/VP9 for sure (at least I would wonder if they would fall regarding these decoding features).

he questionable features would be FHD 3D MVC playback, with the usual playback software like PowerDVD and DSPlayer/MPCHC+MadVR and proper quality and stutter-free SD, 720p, 1080p to 4K upscalling.

Has anyone any relevant experiences if it works well and problem-free with these Vega IGPs? 

And what would ones general opinion here regarding if these APUs (with a not-so pricey motherboard, that has native HDMI 2.0a output) are really good deal or not for a budget all-in-one X64 HTPC?

Regarding my calculations they would come out to be much cheaper than an entry level Intel Pentium + a dedicated RX550 VGA. Also maybe more suitable for an iTX housing as no room needed for a video card. Despite that, the 35W TDP still seems a little bit high, so I guess it would definitely need good active cooling.

So would this be a good path to take HTPC wise?

This includes the questions regarding proper and cadence-perfect 4K/HDR playback, proper SDR<->HDR conversion. Also the good quality SD and 720p to 4K upscalling (some already suggested that these Vega IGPs horsepower and mostly their memory bandwidth and amount would be not enough for this with MadVR). And of course the proper 3D MVC playback. All this mainly imagined on Windows 10 platform with the most popular HTPC playback software alternatives (also mentioned above).

Experiences regarding the "original" 65WTDP 2200G and 200G and the Ryzen 5 2400G/E APU's with Vega 11 are also welcome!

You can post opinions, suggestions, and -mostly anticipated- real experiences or tests regarding the Topic (in this Thread or optionally to the AVS Thread as you wish...)

Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
New AMD 2200G/E and 200G/E (or 2400G/E) APU's reasonable for an all-capable HTPC? - by Mount81 - 2018-06-05, 12:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New AMD 2200G/E and 200G/E (or 2400G/E) APU's reasonable for an all-capable HTPC?0